Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Stop/Start ability to turn feature off
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Stop/Start ability to turn feature off

There is no "on/off" button for the Envision's Start/Stop function. Other than the override process described above.

I leased an Envision Jan 30 and am about to go crazy because of this auto stop & start. Had never even heard of an Envision before that day at the dealer but really liked the looks of it. I guess because of the icy cold day my wife and I took it for a short test drive, I did not even notice the car ever turn off on its own. I don't remember the salesman even mentioning this feature to us, and now I am disgusted with myself and the constant stopping and starting. There has got to be a way to make this less aggressive, a reprogram to give it as little as a 5 second delay before stopping would eliminate gobs of on and off. Anyone know how to get in touch with who could hear my complaint, and maybe has some influence to make a change? The car is fine otherwise FWIW I like this forum!

Plz read Posts #4 and #9. Shifting from "D" to "L" will defeat this but must be done for each drive. Also, you can start out in "L" and then quickly change to gear "6" by pushing the button "up" on the left side for the shifter...it will then shift normally through the 6 gears...but also must be done for each drive.

This design is probably not one that can be changed by software change...and I don't think a dealer has a "button" type solution. Likely an EPA mileage driven thing...to get the gas mileage
    that was "approved" for the Envision.

TxTom Thanks for your reply. I read through every post twice hoping I had missed something the first time. I took a drive yesterday and your solution does in fact defeat the auto stopping, but it also somewhat defeats the convenience of having an automatic transmission when you must shift out of drive and then back to drive at every stop. I am also concerned about the wear and tear on the shifter, but with the car being new, I am sure it has a lot of useful life in it. The wear and tear on the starter motor also makes me cringe. I am pleasantly surprised how fast the motor starts though, never had a car start up so fast, and am curious how they make that happen. I would love to know what the increase in gas mileage with auto stop feature really is? I'd also like to know why you don't believe a software change could be made to alter the auto stop feature, if you would, please? Thanks, Fordy

Hi Fordy...I'm only guessing about the belief that a software change will not be allowable/capable. When Buick got EPA mileage approvable maybe it was based on how the start/stop is programmed/operates? Depending on how much stop and go traffic you encounter...I would think it helps the city EPA mileage maybe 1 MPG if that type of city driving is a lot?

Also...try the second process mentioned above...start out in "L" and then quickly change to gear "6" by pushing the button "up" on the left side for the shifter...it will then shift normally through the 6 gears...but must be done for each start/stop. You may like that option better?

Tom

It is my understanding that the starter isn't used during the start/stop cycles one encounters while driving the Envision. Ours does it, but it soon becomes "normal" and I don't mind it. As to the comments regarding octane, I started out our new-car ownership using regular 87 octane, then I read about higher octane being "recommended" for the turbo cars. After using both grades, I can say that performance does seem a bit better using high-octane fuel, but it's also nice having the choice - since it runs very well on 87.

Has anyone tried installing towing wiring harness to disable auto stop/start?

Dale-z28 says ]It is my understanding that the starter isn't used during the start/stop cycles one encounters while driving . My question then is how is the engine getting restarted? I'm at a loss for any other way, but let me know. I am curious?

NormT is offline Turbo-4 power! My Buick(s): Turbo Envision

From the service manual:

"As soon as the driver prepares to move away (by releasing the brake pedal and/or depressing the accelerator pedal), the engine will start; it only takes the system around 0.3 s to start the engine.

To support the increased number of engine starts, the starter motor is upgraded with a high performance electric motor and a stronger pinion engagement mechanism with reduced noise levels.

Along with the upgraded starter motor, advanced battery technology is required to ensure the vehicles battery can handle the frequent charge and discharge cycles common with stop/start operation. There is battery sensor module connected to the battery which continually monitors the battery charge and healthy state. The engine control module (ECM) uses this information from the battery sensor module to determine if the battery charge and health is sufficient for an Stop/Start condition.

The Stop/Start system can reduce fuel consumption and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by up to 5% in mixed driving conditions. In an urban environment and in heavy traffic with frequent stops the savings may increase to as much as 10%. "
    2016 Envision Prem ll.2013 ATS 2.0T, 2007 Saturn Sky 2.4 Turbo -44 mpg-top up,2004 Saab 9-5 Sport Combi - JZW Stage IV

Remove this ad
    I read this in my wife's documentation that I thought might help some of our members with the Auto Stop/Start feature and why it might not work as one might expect it to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information