Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Vehicle wont crank over,had p0300 code

Vehicle wont crank over,had p0300 code

had a p0300 code pop up on my 97 buick regal ls, I have replaced the following parts,yet the vehicle wont crank over just makes a clunk noise as well as a hum

1.crank sensor
    2.battery as well as cables
    3.spark plugs and wires
    4.ICM
    5.Coil towers
    6.starter

ryenie is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 95 Monte Carlo L36

Re: Vehicle wont crank over,had p0300 code

By won't crank over do you mean the starter won't turn the engine over, or it turns over but won't fire. These are two completely unrelated issues. If the starter won't turn the engine but you can hear it engage, i would start by removing the passenger tire and put a ratchet on the crank pulley (harmonic balancer pulley) and see if you can turn it by hand. There should be some resistance because of the compression of the engine, but it should turn with a ratchet & socket. If it doesn't turn there is likely something wrong internally. If it does spin, it sounds like there may not be enough juice getting to the starter, which is usually caused by loose battery cable connections, or a bad ground. from the battery to the engine block. Also which engine does it have?

It has the 3800 series engine, and the starter won't crank the engine over even with a brand new starter it still just makes a clunk an hum noise..I put a wrench on the balancer bolt an it does turn..now after I turn it manually then try to turn the key it attempts to turn over but stops...it's getting 12.6 volts an the grounding is good brand new battery along with cables

Left Ventricle is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 1996 Century Special wagon, 1992 Century Special sedan, 1993 Century Custom wagon

P0300, in my experience, has been due to misrouted spark plug wires. Check to make sure they're all going to the correct cylinder.

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

It could be hydro-locking! Have you pulled the new plugs to see if they have coolant on them? Will the engine turn over with the starter when the plugs are removed? If so, are there signs of coolant pumping out of the cylinders?

Next step would be to remove the spark plugs and see if it turns over. When the upper intake or intake gaskets fail on these motors, the coolant gets sucked into the combustion chamber and causes the cylinder to vapor\hydro lock, causing more compression than the starter can push through, even at the low rpms. If it spins continuously with the plugs out my money would be on the upper intake. If however it still can't turn over continuously, i would suspect a spun rod\main bearing. Have you noticed or checked for any coolant lose? Not sure if it's an interference motor or not (i don't think it is but won't swear to it), if it were it could also be a stuck valve but I've not run into this with this engine.

sorry hotz28, your post didn't show until after i hit post reply.

The random misfire code could have several route causes with this engine. It is also commonly misdiagnosed due to the common issue with the intake and intake gaskets, people usually start at plugs wires go to the coils icm then crank and cam sensors only to have to do the gasket or intake to fix it. The code by itself i don't think would be enough to keep the engine from running (although it will most likely run rough), but a random misfire has nothing to do with the starter itself, or the starter not cranking unless it's being caused by the intake or gaskets locking up the cylinders.

Haven't noticed any coolant but I will double check that tomorrow, an insure that the wires are routed correctly,

If there is coolant on the plugs or it turns over with out them in.what would be my next step?

I think with the hydro locking it's going to be the intake itself, but you'll have to take it apart and look to see where the actual damage is. From my own experience, the gaskets leak coolant into the oil if they leak internally, the intake leaks coolant directly into the air stream. Either way you'll probably need to do an oil & filter change as there will also likely be at least traces of coolant in the oil if it's not completely contaminated). I've seen where the dipstick wouldn't indicate any coolant in the oil, but upon removal of the valve cover or upper intake it was more than obvious.

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Remove this ad
    Just an example of what it looks like when you have coolant ingestion into the cylinders from the UIM/EGR burn out failure.

068.jpg

Ignition wiring diagram.

3800 ignition.gif

1996 PA Ultra Series II - 3.4 pulley (11.5 psi boost), Autolite 104's, MSD coils & wires, 160 deg. T-stat. Flashed '97 PCM, Lucerne 17" Chrome Wheels
    Cold air is OK.....Turbo Charging is better....but, I'd rather be Blown!!

Thread Information