Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: E bay fuel pumps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jerreich is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2001 Buick Lesabre custom money pit

E bay fuel pumps

I see there are several lesabre (01) fuel pumps on ebay ranging in price from about $30 to over $50. Are these worth installing? Seems awfully cheap to me.

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: E bay fuel pumps

An ancient proverb say's: You usually get what you pay for!

jerreich is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2001 Buick Lesabre custom money pit

Well, since the original still works after 220,000 miles, one of these should last the rest of the money pit's life. Maybe? Anyone ever tried one of these?

NickaV is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom

I personally haven't tried an ebay pump, but I wouldn't advise it unless you are willing to take the chance that it may break after 1 mile or another 100 thousand. You never know with used parts.

Are these new or used? If new, you might message the seller and try to find out what brand.

Airtex is the brand I see most often advised against using.

Have gotten some really great deals from ebay. Only burned one time, but even the seller's name included "as_is" and I took a chance, was only a few bucks.

Main reason I thought about changing was to repair the fuel level sender. I plan on sticking with the trip OD method. Not taking a chance on cheap crap.

SharpRedOne is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2003 Lesabre Limited Phoenix Open Edition

I bought on off of Ebay some time back for $75 and had to replace it about a year or less later. I replaced it with a high performance pump off of Ebay that was around $160. Have not had any issues with it. You get what you pay for is good advice to follow.
    BTW: Lesabre pumps are easy to replace. Open the trunk, remove the liner and take six bolts out of the cover in the front. The pump is right there and easy to remove. All cars and trucks should be as easy. You can change the pump in 45 minutes if you're slow.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpRedOne View Post
    BTW: Lesabre pumps are easy to replace. Open the trunk, remove the liner and take six bolts out of the cover in the front. The pump is right there and easy to remove. All cars and trucks should be as easy. You can change the pump in 45 minutes if you're slow.
    That's good to know! The Hayne's manual I have, supposed to cover 1985 to 2005, just says to drop the tank. I'll assume the access panel in the trunk was added to the last few years of the LeSabre, and this manual is just too generic.

Dropped the tank on a Nissan Pathfinder for a fuel pump r&r, first thing I saw when the tank came down was the access panel in the trunk floor.

DonP is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 Buick LaCrosse.

My '04 had the access port under the rug in the trunk, passenger side corner. Look before you drop the tank. Prepare to spill some fuel when you remove the pump, and it is a bit awkward working in the trunk. Do it with a near empty tank. The hardest part is removing the locking ring that holds the pump in the tank.

I just replace the sender unit on mine, not the whole pump.

Remove this ad
    do you have to have a special tool? I am glad to hear you can get to it from the trunk but I also read about a tool you need to buy or try to make to turn the assembly counterclockwise to remove. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information