Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Catch Can Install?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Catch Can Install?

I have a 2012 [LHU] and there is only one connection from the valve cover back to the intake just before the turbo. (I looked it up in the service manual)
    I can post pictures of the location if that will help - let me know.
    I plan on installing a catch can I got online this fall. I need to get some tubing and find a mounting point in the engine bay for the can. The catch can I bought looks like the one that bbronner413 has posted in his post.
    --
    Speed is a matter of cost. How fast do you want to go?

2012 Regal GS - 6sp Manual - K&N air filter, no badges, Slotted & Dimpled rotors.
    Planned upgrades: Intake, down pipe, exhaust?, (revised shift knob when I find it), window tint and much later reprogrammed ECM.

When I ran my GTP @ the track on the 4th past 14.961 @ 91.88 MPH, my best time! Stock (never ran it after mods)

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

There is a line that leads from the valve cover to the compressor intake pipe maybe a foot up-steam of the compressor inlet (and just down-stream of the MAF sensor)... I 'think' that's the one you are talking about. That is not the one to put a catch can in. That line has a check valve in it and only flows into the engine, not back out. That is the fresh air inlet to allow air to flow in as your PCV sucks air out under vacuum conditions.

The line you need to 'catch can' is the short braided steel line that leads from the head/valve cover area right into a fitting on the turbo compressor housing. This is the path back into the engine for blow-by when under boost conditions, and it can carry a lot of oil (especially if you track the car).

I also have the service manual, and their diagram for the PCV system is wrong, or at least very misleading. Pull that line off the intake tube and try to suck and blow into it... you can blow in, but when you try sucking on it the check valve closes.
    '12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

Could you post pics please? I will have to see if I see what you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP98GTP View Post
    Could you post pics please? I will have to see if I see what you are seeing.
    Here is what I see...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by RIP98GTP View Post
    Here is what I see...
    Your picture is perfect.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, the 'correct' one is designed to be tamper resistant to meet EPA requirements. Removing that line from the engine is probably impossible. But if you remove the entire plate where this attaches to the turbo, it is difficult, but possible, to get a line release tool in there and pop that line off. Then you can reroute it into a catch can and back to this port on the turbo, or just cap off at the turbo and route it to the ground through another check valve so you don't suck dirty air back in through this path when under vacuum conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information