Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 1997 LeSabre HVAC issue(s)

1997 LeSabre HVAC issue(s)

Hey all. I just acquired a 1997 Lesabre, and am having a few HVAC problems, and would like some advice on repair/troubleshooting before I start throwing money away.
    The first problem that it had was that the HVAC control panel (It has the digital one, NOT the one with the sliders) wouldnít light up or respond to buttons pushed. I got a used one from a junk yard, and now the display lights up and it responds to buttons pushed.
    The second problem is I would have intermittent heat. It would go from blowing outside air into the car, to slightly warm air. I was reading online and most of the suggestions were to move the actuator arm and see if the temp changed. I did that, and the heat works now. So, this would mean itís a bad actuator, right?
    My third problem is that the very right side of the defrost vents, and the regular vents do not blow any air on any settings. I have read on this, to check some vacuum connections, and if itís not this, then I need to replace the HVAC programmer. Does this sound right? If it is, any pointers for the vacuum connection checking, and how/if thereís a way to test the programmer so I donít waste 400-500 bones?
    I really want everything on this car to work like it should, so I can like it more than I do right now. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated.

Re: 1997 LeSabre HVAC issue(s)

Remove this ad
    I just got home and started playing with this again.

I can pretty easily move the arm on the actuator, HOWEVER, it does move on its own. When I push front defrost @90 degrees, it moves the door so it takes cold air from the outside. However, when I put it on auto, it shows on the screen that it's blowing out of the floor vents, set to 90 degrees. Even now, it's blowing on the floor AND the drivers side of the defrost vents, but no passenger.

Where do these colorful vacuum lines go? My luck is that these will all be fine, however, I'd still like to check.

Thread Information