Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Instrument Panel Auto Dimming
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Instrument Panel Auto Dimming

I have a 2017 Buick Envision Premium II. I have had this for 3 months now and there is one very annoying feature. When it gets close to sunset or dusk, or if it is foggy and very overcast, the instrument panel dims and it is hard to read settings anywhere on the instrument panel or infotainment panel. I am glad to have heads up display so I know how fast I am going. Is there anyway to disable this feature. I find that it could become a safety hazard. I have spoken to my dealer and they have not gotten any response from the regional Buick team. I prefer to have it stay at full brightness.

Re: Instrument Panel Auto Dimming

You can disable the auto dimming on my 2014 Premium Encore. You cut it off with the same knob you use to turn your headlights on.

Quote Originally Posted by norm13 View Post
    I have a 2017 Buick Envision Premium II. I have had this for 3 months now and there is one very annoying feature. When it gets close to sunset or dusk, or if it is foggy and very overcast, the instrument panel dims and it is hard to read settings anywhere on the instrument panel or infotainment panel. I am glad to have heads up display so I know how fast I am going. Is there anyway to disable this feature. I find that it could become a safety hazard. I have spoken to my dealer and they have not gotten any response from the regional Buick team. I prefer to have it stay at full brightness.
    Printed info from this site about the service bulletin, took car to the dealer, they downloaded the update and things are much improved - thanks for the ehads up on this - they were unaware of the problem and fix - they are now calling theeir other customers who had early models delivered so they can update them - thanks a million

I have my Envision Premium II level with all options. The NAV display panel, even in bright daylight, grays out sometimes, like a computer screen. It will go back to normal color intensity in a compleelty random manner in terms of outdoor light. I noticed today that when I was driving in intense sunlight (3:30PM) and passed between two rows of trees, the screen went so dark, that I could not make out any of the NAV features. This has happened many times before and the dealer has no clue as to what to do. Glad I saw some of the answers you got. Maybe my dealer will take that to heart. Otherwise, this car is useless to me. I've discovered that my dealer, a reasonably sized operation, has some tech folks that really don't know how the onboard computer works. So Sad!!

With all the info I got from this thread, I just showed up at my Buick dealer today. I showed them info from the thread and told them various members had success with applying the software update 16-NA-357. Interestingly, I've mentioned this problem 3 times to service "advisors" in the last 6 weeks. Of course they never heard of the DIC and Instrument panel dimming issue. Today, all, of sudden, when presented with the "fix", they remembered that several folks have had this problem. The service advisor was surprised to learn that they never checked if this patch had been applied to my car before delivering the car on 1/31/17. There have been other issues discovered since I got the car. If I ran my business that way, I would have been gone many decades ago. Naturally, all I know his that the panel worked for the 15 miles I drove since I picked up the car. I won't really know if it works, because it has worked for many days in a row before it dimmed out.

I have the pleasure of being overseas for the next 5 weeks and therefore won't really know if I've had success until I get back. I thank each and every one of you for your persistence in discovering the Technical Service Bulletin.

Where is the information about the service bulletin on Envision auto dimming

Dealer has to access TSB 16-NA-357. Its application will fix the problem.

Bigdog48 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick Envision

For those still struggling with this I just got home from the dealer and he said, yep, you were right, and they applied a software update. Here is an exceprt from my service ticket (click on it to see it larger):
    Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 12.05.32 PM.jpg

So the only way to fix this is to go to the dealership?

Remove this ad
    Yes, refer them to the problem and the TSB. Took my dealer about an hour total. Well worth it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information