Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: It's Been A While
    FatherDeth is offline 7.0L LS7 Member My Buick(s): Buick Regal GS

It's Been A While

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been in here. Since the last time I was, my GS has travelled to Florida where I stayed for 6 months, been involved in two accidents, and I've racked up 76,000 miles.

So, I have a question. I need to change my front brakes. I've done the front pads before. Easy job. I've not done the rotors. How difficult is it with the Brembo calipers?

Also, what is the best way to jack the car up and place it on jack stands? Thanks!

2012 Regal GS "Lucretia" aka "Blackarachnia"

jwmuscat is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Buick Regal GS, 6spd manual. white diamond

Re: It's Been A While

Rotors are pretty easy, I think the only thing to be aware of is the caliper bolt is torque to yield so you should get a new one when putting the caliper back on (granted I did not do this and I have been fine but it would be good practice to do so).

Even with my low profile jack Ive managed to crack both rocker panels near the front trying to get it up. I found my "low profile racing" jack with a frame rail puck thing on it works and then I put it on the rail up near the front on each side pretty close to the beginning of the tire wheel well.

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

If you can, get both front wheels up in the air (using two jackstands). With no steering wheel lock on these cars, you can easily steer the front wheels by just grabbing the knuckle while you're working on the brakes, which is nice when changing the rotors.

As was just mentioned, the caliper bolts are TTY. It's a good idea to replace them instead of reuse them, but since I'm swapping my brakes often (track brakes/street brakes, including swapping the rotors), I bought new bolts and cross drilled them for safety wire instead. If you're doing this 5 or 6 times a year like me, it's worth it. If I was only going to change my rotors every 76,000 miles, I think I'd just buy the new TTY bolts from the dealer or an on-line dealer.

The rotor has a small torx bolt that is there to hold it onto the hub during manufacturing. Hope that comes out without any trouble, and you don't need to reuse it if you don't want to. It makes getting the caliper back on a bit easier though, so I put anti-seize on it and do continue to use it.

Overall, it's very straightforward and a pretty easy job.

'12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

GSTurbo is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40

Jacking the car up is simple... Place the jack under the front cross member (just under the front fascia).

I then place the jack stands under the car near the control arms or at the jack points on the side of the car (depending on what I'm doing).

Mods:
    GMPP Stage Kit
    Forge Recirculating Bypass Valve
    Werks Shorty Downpipe w/ Highflow Cat
    Secondary Cat Delete
    Scangauge II
    Triple R Composites Splitter
    Carbon Fiber Mirror Covers
    50% Tint
    Turbo Buick Badge
    260whp 316wtq

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by GSTurbo View Post
    Jacking the car up is simple... Place the jack under the front cross member (just under the front fascia).
    I've been afraid to use that spot on the Regal. Doesn't that put plastic between the jack and the cross member (part of the front fascia that extends under the car)? Seems like that plastic could crack, but if it's working for you, I might have to try it.

GSTurbo is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2013 Regal GS, Crystal Red Tint Coat, Aisin AF40

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt G View Post
    I've been afraid to use that spot on the Regal. Doesn't that put plastic between the jack and the cross member (part of the front fascia that extends under the car)? Seems like that plastic could crack, but if it's working for you, I might have to try it.
    Nope, the plastic is only attached at the very edge... There is plenty of room for my Craftsman 3 ton floor jack to jack at that location w/o touching the plastic.

The funny thing is how similar all the cross members are between vehicles with Ecotec 4 cylinders. My GS almost matches my old Cobalt SS and wife's Equinox cross members.

Thread Information