Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Best non-emission carb replacement 1983 5L Riviera

Best non-emission carb replacement 1983 5L Riviera

I definitely want to replace my stock emission carb and remove the air pump etc. and all of the mass components-vacuum lines...etc. etc. and clean up my engine compartment-hopefully get better fuel mileage and performance etc. and go with a non-emission carb.
    4bl or 2bl as I pretty much just putt around in it and kicking in to a 4bl is not that important to me unless I would loose to much performance.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement carb that I might go with that would fit properly and bolt up/hook up with out to many headaches?
    Thanks!!!

LARRY70GS is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1

Re: Best non-emission carb replacement 1983 5L Riviera

I honestly don't think your mileage will be any better with a carburetor other than your stock Quadrajet. The engine in your car is either the 305 Chevy, or 307 Oldsmobile engine. Both of them are gutless engines, very low performance. It really isn't worth doing anything to them IMO. If I wanted better performance, I would look at swapping in an earlier Oldsmobile 350, or even a 403 engine as that would probably be a relatively easy swap. If you have the 305, you really have the option of any crate engine out of the Sumitt or Jegs catalog. Better performance and mileage if you pick the right one.

Over on www.v8buick, there are 2 guys who specialize in custom building Quadrajets. One is in Connecticut, the other in Texas. I could put you in touch with either or both of them if you like.

Larry
    1970 GS455 Stage1, 4080 lbs Race Weight, Best ET, 11.54@115.00, Best MPH, 11.58@ 115.89 MPH
    1998 Loaded SC3800 Riviera
    Larrymta@verizon.net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: Best non-emission carb replacement 1983 5L Riviera

Remove this ad
    Quadrajets are the best option for that particular vehicle! Small primaries & huge secondaries are the way to go. Look at the late-mid '60's 4-barrel carbs, a lot of options out there. Don't even think about the Rochester 2-barrel, mileage will suffer.

Thread Information