Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Buick Oil Change Scam
    Rossland is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2016 Buick Lacrosse

Buick Oil Change Scam

When we purchased our Buick, the dealer informed us that the first four oil changes would be free within the first two years. The car is now a year and a half old. Last week I brought the car to a dealer for its fourth oil change, and was surprised when I was handed a bill for $65. When I enquired about this, I was informed that there is a 40,000km mileage limit, and since our car has 50,000km, the oil changes are no longer covered by GM.

But the dealers won't change oil unless the car computer calls for a change, and since this happens approx every 12,000km, it is impossible to obtain four free oil changes.

So if you are thinking of buying a new Buick, beware. Despite what the dealer tells you, only three oil changes are free.

Re: Buick Oil Change Scam

I work for a GM dealer in the states, and we do four all the time. Perhaps its the dealer making that call on the service mileage? It's not GM.
    1993 SKYLARK-58K-NEW ARRIVAL
    2003 TAURUS-156K-11 YEARS AND COUNTING
    2005 COBALT-74K-DEAD AND BURIED
    1994 CUTLASS-144K-DEAD AND BURIED
    1999 GRAND AM-81K-DEAD AND BURIED

Thanks Reaper. That's interesting. I will contact GM Canada to see what they say. Maybe it is a dealer screwup.

Worth a shot. Maybe it's different from GM Canada to GM US, too?

Jack_k is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): '15 Buick GS

Wow, GM has been great on their two year, 24,000 mile oil change here in the the States.

Remove this ad
    Today I spoke to a customer service rep from GM Canada, and she confirmed that there is a 40,000km limit on the free oil changes. When I explained that the car computer doesn't call for an oil change until approx 12,000km, she said that I should have brought the car in for an oil change every 10,000km in spite of what the car computer said.

There is nothing in the operators manual about this.

However, as a "good will" measure, she is sending me a voucher for one oil change, good only at GM dealers in Canada.

Thread Information