Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2003 Buick LeSabre ABS issue.
    RegalOwnerDanMI is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick Regal and LeSabre

2003 Buick LeSabre ABS issue.

I have an '03 LeSabre Custom with about 52,000 miles on it. The car has traction control and ABS.

It has had issues with both of the above (I thought) ever since I bought it. The ABS will VERY intermittently come on, usually after driving for a long distance. The mechanic thought it might be the traction control. He suggested disabling that with the shift lever button. I've done so every time I drive the car.

The issue hasn't happened in months (and has happened 4 times overall). Then last week, with traction control OFF, on a warm, dry, day, in stop and go traffic, the ABS came on briefly. It felt like someone hit the car HARD. NO ABS warning light AT ALL.

I took the car to the mechanic. NO codes. NO light staying on. His suggestion? Eventually, it WILL throw a code.

NOT acceptable. I now have a car that my wife is afraid to drive. She is almost at the point of demanding that we sell it.

What are my options? I'm sure the Buick dealer will tell me the same thing - no codes, no issue.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

bigsky is online now 5.7L Member My Buick(s): 97 PA Base (salvage 185k), 99 PA Base (sold 140k), 2K PA Base (sold 120k), 03 PAU 155k, 04 PAU

Re: 2003 Buick LeSabre ABS issue.

When you say the ABS came on...do you mean the car automatically applied the brakes on its own? Were you braking normally at the time and then something happened which felt like you had been hit?

The ABS is the "antilock brake system" and as I understand its function, it will pulse the brakes at a rate faster than our foot can to prevent the brakes from locking up and putting the car into a skid. The ABS generally does not cause major changes to the ordinary braking function.

RegalOwnerDanMI is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): Buick Regal and LeSabre

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    When you say the ABS came on...do you mean the car automatically applied the brakes on its own? Were you braking normally at the time and then something happened which felt like you had been hit?

The ABS is the "antilock brake system" and as I understand its function, it will pulse the brakes at a rate faster than our foot can to prevent the brakes from locking up and putting the car into a skid. The ABS generally does not cause major changes to the ordinary braking function.
    Yes, my foot was on the brake pedal (we were in stop and go traffic). Yes, the ABS brakes applied on their own. The sound and feel was as if we had been hit in the rear end. I thought that's what had happened until I stopped and looked.

As I said in my original post, this is about the 4th time the car has done this since I've owned it. NEVER a code. NEVER an ABS or traction control lamp on. The mechanic can NOT find anything wrong.

I'd like to think this is an issue that has happened to others, and that there's a solution. At this point, I WANT IT FIXED. Code or no code. Duplication or not. My wife wants to sell the car and refuses to drive or ride in it for long distances. i'm not there yet, but this needs to be resolved.

NickaV is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by RegalOwnerDanMI View Post
    Yes, my foot was on the brake pedal (we were in stop and go traffic). Yes, the ABS brakes applied on their own. The sound and feel was as if we had been hit in the rear end. I thought that's what had happened until I stopped and looked.

As I said in my original post, this is about the 4th time the car has done this since I've owned it. NEVER a code. NEVER an ABS or traction control lamp on. The mechanic can NOT find anything wrong.

I'd like to think this is an issue that has happened to others, and that there's a solution. At this point, I WANT IT FIXED. Code or no code. Duplication or not. My wife wants to sell the car and refuses to drive or ride in it for long distances. i'm not there yet, but this needs to be resolved.
    Well, in the meantime you can remove the ABS fuse. It might actually be helpful to see if the issue continues. Removing the fuse would not hurt the regular braking of the car, it would just keep the ABS from firing off randomly, if that is the issue.

Thread Information