Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: GM fuel additive - Is it necessary or woth the money?

GM fuel additive - Is it necessary or woth the money?

With regards to fuel additives, my 2007 Lucerne owner's manual says the following:

Additives
    To provide cleaner air, all gasolines in the United
    States are now required to contain additives
    that will help prevent engine and fuel system
    deposits from forming, allowing your emission
    control system to work properly. In most cases,
    you should not have to add anything to your fuel.
    However, some gasolines contain only the
    minimum amount of additive required to meet
    U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations.
    To help keep fuel injectors and intake valves
    clean, or if your vehicle experiences problems due
    to dirty injectors or valves, look for gasoline that
    is advertised as TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
    Also, your dealer has additives that will help
    correct and prevent most deposit-related problems

It almost sounds like they're suggesting that Top Tier detergent gasoline is not enough, but judge for yourself. I've seen numerous references on some mechanic's web pages suggesting that short trips are bad for fuel injectors, but I never heard GM come out and directly say such a thing. The story I'm hearing on the bulletin boards is that this AC Delco branded fuel system cleaner is really just the Chevron Techron fuel additive that you can buy just about anywhere:

#05-00-89-078B: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits - (Feb 6, 2008)

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078A (Section 00 -- General Information).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
    GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
    The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
    Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

Parts Information
    Part Number
    Description

88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco, use 88861013)

(in Canada, 88861012)
    GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Chris Fix, the famous internet auto mechanic, says his tests with the Techron fuel cleaner doesn't do much for carbon deposits, but he's also careful to say that he doesn't have any fuel injector cleaning results. (That would be rather hard to test.)

polarzak is offline Full Member My Buick(s): Lucerne & Chrysler 300 (Both In Gorgeous Black)

Re: GM fuel additive - Is it necessary or woth the money?

Remove this ad
    I am not a fan of fuel or oil additives. Mostly a waste of money in my humble opinion. That said, I did add some STP to my oil a few times back in the 70s when I was driving an old oil burner. Not sure if it did anything. My injectors seems to be working just fine with 200k on them. (Knock on wood)

Thread Information