Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 1987 Estate Wagon

1987 Estate Wagon

Looking at a 1987 estate wagon 145,000 miles 5.0 motor. I know nothing about this type of car, motor,transmission, Buying it to pull a vintage travel trailer 18', 250# tongue weight, 2500 total. Can it handle it? what s the reliability of the type of wagon?

CorvairGeek is online now A Regular My Buick(s): 1996, 92 Buick Century

Re: 1987 Estate Wagon

Remove this ad
    IIRC, GM did rate the wagon for a 5000 pound towing capability.
    I always found this amusing as the wagon only had less power (5.0 Olds VIN 'Y' wagon vs the 5.0 Chevy VIN 'H' sedan) and the wagon used the 200R4 transmission vs the 700R4 transmission in the sedans.
    The biggest factor at this point will be the overall condition of the vehicle and making sure that the original cam gear (nylon coated pot metal) and timing chain have been replaced.

Jerry

Thread Information