Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Lowbeams have suddenly failed

Lowbeams have suddenly failed

I realized as I was driving home at dusk tonight that my headlights hadn't come on. The high beams worked, but the regular low beams did not light up either on automatic or even when I tried to turn them on manually. When I got home, I exchanged the highbeam fuses and the lowbeam fuses. The high beams still lit up fine (with the low beams' fuses), but the low beams...still nothing.

Both of these headlamps were lighting up just fine a couple of days ago, and they both have relatively new bulbs. I just inspected the bulbs and they look fine - show no sign of burnout or detached filaments.

I took the car in to the dealership for the recall which seemed to have been a correction of something like this. Anybody heard of having to do this a second time? (I'd actually never had a problem when I took it in for the recall.)

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave
    2007 Bronze LaCrosse

ClayBelt is offline A Regular My Buick(s): 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS (3.6L)

Re: Lowbeams have suddenly failed

Never have. Taking mine in for a similar reason

You need the following part.

Duralast relay #20601 - http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...tor/206179_0_0

It says it's a blower motor relay, but it's also the infamous "Headlight module" that seems to always fail in the 1st generation Buick Lacrosse.

I had this problem with my 2006 Lacrosse. Oddly enough, the recall notice for this part had arrived in my mailbox a few days before. Well, I like my local independent shop and they are the only people I trust with my cars. I didn't want the local Buick Dealership going on a fishing expedition for things that need doing (in their opinion) to my Lacrosse, and I'm afraid of salesmen badgering me to buy a new car while the dealership works on mine. So I didn't go to the dealership.

The bad news: the part costs $27 at Autozone. The good news: I'm far from being an electrician and it took me 3 minutes to fix. Open the hood. Open the fuse-box. Quickly identify the part (it's more or less the only one like it in there), change it out. Job done. Fully working low-beams.

This guy on Youtube explains the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDYCi9WkWaI

But this diagram shows the relay you need to replace: http://www.autogenius.info/buick-lac...e-box-diagram/

It's number 35. Literally unplug and replace. Easier and quicker than replacing a light bulb.

Good luck.

Arthur

You need the following part from Autozone.

Duralast relay #20601

This is the replacement for the infamous "Headlight module" that seems to always fail in the first generation Buick Lacrosse.

I had this problem with my 2006 Lacrosse. Oddly enough, the recall notice for this part had arrived in my mailbox only a few days before. Well, I like my local independent shop and they are the only people I trust with my cars. I didn't want the local Buick dealership going on a fishing expedition for things that need doing (in their opinion) to my Lacrosse, and I'm afraid of salesmen badgering me to buy a new car while the dealership works on mine. So I didn't go to the dealership.

The bad news: the part costs $27 at Autozone. The good news: I'm far from being an electrician and it took me 3 minutes to fix. Open the hood. Open the fuse-box. Quickly identify the part (it's more or less the only one like it in there), change it out. Job done. Fully working low-beams.

It's relay #35 in the fuse-box diagram. Literally unplug and replace. Easier and quicker than replacing a light bulb.

Good luck.

Arthur

By the way, for some reason, if I post links, my post gets referred for moderation. So:

Go to Auozone's website and search in the search box for: 20601 - You'll see it listed as a headlight relay.

Go on Youtube and search for: buick lacrosse headlight module - the first video that comes up is a guy doing this repair to his Lacrosse

Google: 2007 buick lacrosse fuse box diagram - there's a link halfway down the page to the diagram at a website called Auto genius that shows you the location of relay #35

Thanks very much, Arthur!

I feel a bit guilty about you writing so much in answer to my problem (see below). However, your post is very useful information for many owners of older LaCrosses who will come across this thread.

Turned out that my local dealership, under better management now, agreed to install another new headlight module free of charge, which I watched them do through the shop window. But to all our surprise, it didn't fix the failure of the headlights to light up! The mechanic then took out the light bulbs (which is an unbelievably complex process, btw) and "ohmed" them (as they say), and though the bulbs looked fine (even the shop manager said that the bulbs looked okay to him), they were not passing the ohmmeter test. They had actually taken me out into the shop area by then and let me watch - the mechanic showed me the distortion of the filament and said that these bulbs often don't show the typical signs of burnout (blackened area, obviously detached filament). He replaced it with new bulb and voilą, it lit up!

Both my lowbeam bulbs had simply burned out. Later, I found out that my son had accidentally left the headlights manually "on" an entire day and night, and I can only deduce that this burned out the bulbs before it drained the battery. The next morning, I had noticed the headlight knob turned to manual "on" but after I switched it back to "auto", the car started fine and I just forgot about it.

Dave

BIG ROCCO is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav

Remove this ad
    interesting story - thanks OP

Thread Information