Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Is it safe to powerwash under a car

Is it safe to powerwash under a car

I am a bit worried or maybe too worried about washing under my 2005 Buick Allure. The chassis and frame has lots of rust and I do not know if it will destroy the rusted metal if I wash it.

I already started spraying it with rust paint but I cannot do it in some areas because of dirt and grime. It might take a while for me to prep it if i just use a degreaser. Especially that I cannot lift my car anymore, the car pinch weld are already destroyed by rust so I just go down and reach the areas as far as I could.

Would it be alright to go to automatic car wash like Esso? They have an underbody car wash

BIG ROCCO is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav

Re: Is it safe to powerwash under a car

Geez- underbody rust - I do vaguely remember that from back in the day in New England, but we don't see that at all in the AZ desert. Where are you located?

Anyway, washing will do no (additional) harm to rusted areas

This made me feel relieved. Thank you Big Rocco. Will do underbody wash asap while still fall so I can continue painting it with rust paint.

This is a used car, I bought it last year from a friend. I ignore the rust that was under my car at that time but I brought it to krown just to be sure the rust will not spread. By the way, I lived in northern Canada.

This set me thinking. My Lacrosse has lived its whole life in the south, where I am currently located. There is a possibility (nothing definite, yet, put a possibility), that I might be relocating to Albany, NY.

If that is the case, is there any merit in having the underside of the car rust-proofed as soon as I get there?

BuickLacrosse is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 LaCrosse CX 3.8L

If that is the case, is there any merit in having the underside of the car rust-proofed as soon as I get there?
    Get it rust-proofed before you move (if available). Give it a head-start on the rust.

Mad*Max is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2012 Chev Sonic

I don't rust proof any of my cars, just keep washing them regularly during winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_Davies View Post
    This set me thinking. My Lacrosse has lived its whole life in the south, where I am currently located. There is a possibility (nothing definite, yet, put a possibility), that I might be relocating to Albany, NY.

BIG ROCCO is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_Davies View Post

Well - it depends on how long you plan to keep the car - it couldn't hurt

Thread Information