Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2005 LA Cross Parking Brakes

Unhappy 2005 LA Cross Parking Brakes

I have a 2005 LaCross CSX, while rotating the tires I used the parking brake to lock the rear wheels, now the parking brake will not fully release! I do not want to overheat the pads by driving it till I fig out how to release the Park Brake.
    Does this parking brake system have mini brake pads inside the drum or some type of locking mechanism for the pads or what... ?
    Or does the cable rust, I also noticed that the parking brake pedal does not push down as far as it used to...
    I know, I should have used the parking brake at least once a week to keep it from locking up from non use!

Re: 2005 LA Cross Parking Brakes

M guess it's pretty rusted. The parking brakes aren't a separate system. Get underneath and try spraying the entire Cable with pentrating oil. Then give a tug with channel locks on cable. Otherwise take rear brakes off and reset piston

Welcome to the party on this one and you will most likely find its not your cable but a crappy caliper. They used to use a drum in the middle of the rotor like my 2004 Monte but in 2005 like my Allure it has a goofy all in one caliper where they have a screw poking out with the cable attached and this screw is out in the open where all of the $h!t flying off of the front wheels plasters against and there is no shield covering it! When I got my Alemmon the brakes wouldn't release when applied. Okay my thought was the cables because if you never use them they seize. I always use my brakes and this isn't a problem but examination revealed the screw wouldn't return on both do I kept pumping the pedal and manually turned the screw many times and finally the driver side became free but not the passenger. Okay so I replaced this caliper with a crappy Cardon brand caliper and a couple of years later this caliper screw seized so bad the pad wore down enough to provide clearance while the screw was rotated fully in the applied position. I discovered this while changing my winter tires to summer and with the pedal pushed down hard one wheel still turned. Meanwhile the drivers side caliper still functions like it should. Don't buy Cardon as I heard others mention their quality is garbage like this brake setup. I will replace it with a GM and always use these brakes occasionally touching the rotor to see if it is hot due to a staging caliper.

BuickLacrosse is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 LaCrosse CX 3.8L

Lube the crap out of the cable and use the park brake regularly (how often probably depends on where you live - northern/damp climes -- use more often).

oldschool is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '03 Buick LeSabre, '07 Allure CXL

Remove this ad
    Like Henman said, it's not the cable. I had the same issue this spring, had to lube the crap out of the caliper and work the screw back and forth for days. It's the area under the round spring on the side of the caliper. It needs to be lubed or it won't turn. I also shimmed each end of the spring to provide more force so the brake releases.

Thread Information