Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Some tips needed on buying a used Verano

Some tips needed on buying a used Verano

Hi there,
    I'm heading out tomorrow for the long drive to check out a 2016 Verano Leather that I'm very interested in. It's with a very large and reputable dealer, not some hole in the wall place, but even still I want to do my due diligence and try to check out the car as thoroughly as possible when I go down there. Anything in particular I should look out for with the car - all vehicles have their weak points? It has about 25,000 miles on it, so not too much wear and tear - I hope. Most that I can see from the pictures is a few paint chips that I'm hoping I can match up with an appropriately colored pen kit. If I could I'd try and arrange for a mechanic to look at it for me, but it's right out of my area.

Thanks in advance

Skylarkin' is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Verano Turbo

Re: Some tips needed on buying a used Verano

Hi Stephen,

When I bought my Verano a little more than a year ago, I asked the dealer to make sure all of the applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) and any firmware updates for the engine and transmission were done before I signed the paperwork and took the car home. Do you know if the car has maintenance records for its previous 25K miles and if so, have you reviewed them to make sure the car had regular oil changes, the cabin air filter was changed regularly, etc? I had the 2.4L motor in my previous car, a Saturn Ion, and the Ecotecs are stout engines provided they're regularly serviced. If you have the car's VIN, plug it in here to see if any recalls are applicable - https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

The only "flaw" these Delta platform sedans have is tight rear quarters compared to other cars in the same class. The upside of that is a gigantic (relatively speaking) trunk. For me, a less-than-roomy rear seat was not a drawback. Others may have more knowledge about problem areas or sticking points. Good luck tomorrow!

My first car was a 1977 Skylark. I now have a 2015 Buick Verano Turbo.

Hi there,
    Didn't see this before I made the trip south to buy the car - it's now sitting proudly in my driveway. Got a nice deal on it because it had sat on the dealer's lot for a while and they kept reducing the price from 16k down to 14k due to some kind of issue with getting taxed on depreciation once a vehicle has been on a lot for longer than 45 days. The salesman actually told me that after the sale, so he had no reason to lie about it. Only in Fort Lauderdale could a late model Verano sit unsold for so long at the asking price - it was the cheapest car on the used lot of a major Lexus dealer.

The car is in immaculate condition, and I'd say the only thing I noticed on the way back was that when I tended to brake a little firmly to come to a complete stop I seemed to feel a solid kind of downshift in the transmission at the end, but not knowing the vehicle I'm not sure if that's just normal or perhaps an issue?

As for the records, I did ask for them but the dealer said there was no sign of them from the previous owner, but they did claim that it looked well-maintained when they did their own inspection. Seemed like that to me as well when I looked at it. The dealer said they changed all the fluids and the air filter, plus it has new tires all round, though only the back two are the Continentals Buick puts on. The front tires are Dunlop 235/45R18's - make any difference to the road noise, because I know Buick claims the Continentals are designed to minimize it? As it's only a 2016 model and I intent keeping my own records I'm hoping that Buick won't be SOB's should any warranty issues come up. The updates I obviously knew nothing about because I hadn't read your post - should I take it to a Buick dealer to check?

Also, you're right about the trunk! My wife and I went to the supermarket this morning and noted how much room there is there - it's like a cavern! Interestingly, when I got it home and actually looked in the trunk (never gave it a thought when I was picking it up) I found a package inside containing some kind of weather strip. The packet says 'D1SB Front Lower Air Dam' - what it's for I have no idea, or why it was in the back.

One point. Is it true that if the battery dies on these cars you are toasted as far as trying to get in because of a lack of a manual lock? I mean, everyone screws up occasionally and lets a battery run down or something like that - the notion of having to break into your own car in order to try and jump start it seems kind of silly.

sorry - duplicated the post!

Skylarkin' is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Verano Turbo

Hi Stephen,

Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it! I think the downshifting on deceleration is normal. This is my first car with an automatic since 1977 and I sometimes notice it downshifting as I come to a stop.

I think tire noise is subjective, especially on Veranos since they're so quiet to begin with. I'm not happy with the OEM tires; I think they're a cost-cutting move and during my research before buying my car, I read many people claiming they blow out too easily. Maybe that's a suburban myth. It wouldn't hurt to take it to your local dealer to make sure all the TSBs and firmware updates have been applied but I'd only do it in conjunction with an oil change unless you encounter a no-start situation or some other major problem.

What you found in the trunk probably belongs on/under the front bumper of your car. Perhaps the previous owner never wanted it attached because they had a steep driveway and the air dam would scrape the pavement or maybe the former owner broke the original and you have the replacement. I'd probably have the dealer attach it; it should have been done before you took delivery.

I can't answer your final question; maybe someone else on here who has had a Verano longer can.

Don't forget to post a picture or two when you are able and again, congratulations!

KevinJ is online now A Regular My Buick(s): 2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)

Remove this ad
    Congrats on your Verano. I think you will really like your car.

I purchased my 2013 in 2016 at a Toyota dealership. Same kind of thing, it had sat there for about 2 months and they kept lowering the price. It was well below Kelly, Edmunds, NADA, etc. The used car manager told me that the owner of the dealership did not like Non-Toyota vehicles on the lot of too long. I've heard over the years that you can sometimes get better used car deals when you buy a brand of car not offered/carried at the New Car Dealership.

Also, when I bought mine the Dealership had ran a Car Fax and provided it with the car. It showed all the maintenance that had been done at the Buick Dealership where it had been originally purchased. Besides the typical oil changes and a couple of tire rotations, it also showed windshield wiper replacement, and a front tire replacement due to damage from a pot hole. This had occurred right before the Car had been traded in at the Toyota dealer. The Toyota dealership then replaced the other 3 tires at their expense, so the car would have 4 brand new tires. The car only had 27,000 miles. Even the tire replacement done by the Toyota dealership showed up on the Car Fax. The new tires are all OEM Continentals.

I've also read that the OEM Continental tires may be prone to blow out. Not sure I buy it... I think it's more of an issue with low-profile tires in general coupled with improper tire pressure being maintained. Also, I think the "Distracted Driving Syndrome" I witness on a daily basis has people hitting pot-holes and road hazards that probably could have been avoided if they had been paying attention. I bet tire and wheel damage in general has increased since the advent of Cell Phones and all the other Electronic Gadgetry Distractions now found in today's cars.

I've rambled on for too long.

Enjoy your ride and welcome to the forum!!

Thread Information