Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums
Buick Forum: Question about transmission cooler

Question about transmission cooler

So I recently got a 96 RMS for cheap because it was leaking a little trans fluid from the radiator. I checked the fluid and it did not seem to leak that much so I took it on a little road trip and the car started overheating and it seems the trans fluid and coolant got mixed. The trans moves forward slightly when the car is cold and still has reverse. I was thinking of buying an external trans cooler and then draining the radiator and keep the old radiator. Do you think that it would be worth draining the trans oil and putting in new trans oil and a new filter and see if it gets the forward gears back? Or should I just replace the transmission and not even try to bring back the old one? Thanks

Re: Question about transmission cooler

Pretty much once a trans gets water mixed with ATF and gets to the clutches the trans is ruined, water will cause the friction material on the clutch plates to fall off.

1992 B4C 1LE camaro 5.0 5 speed
    1993 Roadmaster wagon
    2000 Chevy Tahoe limited
    2014 F150 5.0

CorvairGeek is offline Contributing Member My Buick(s): 1996, 92 Buick Century

Re: Question about transmission cooler

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rockford View Post
    Pretty much once a trans gets water mixed with ATF and gets to the clutches the trans is ruined, water will cause the friction material on the clutch plates to fall off.
    +1, unfortunately. The bonding material is water soluble.

Jerry

Thread Information