Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Oil Leak

Thread: Oil Leak

Question Oil Leak

I noticed oil on the passenger side and front of rear wheel my 2011 Buick Lacrosse. Had to add 2 quarts of oil. Any ideas as to the possible cause? Thank you.

Re: Oil Leak

That does seem like an ordinary oil leak, either from the pan gasket or otherwise. Still, you want to rule out some other fluid such as brake fluid. When I find a leaking fluid like that, I stick my finger into it and then rub my fingers together while I sniff it. You can tell which fluid it is by odor, color, and consistency. If you aren't sure what motor oil is supposed to feel like, then pull out the oil dipstick and compare the last drop on it to what you think is the new leak.

Without full information on your car, we can't do more than guess. For example, is it AWD or FWD?

It is a FWD. It looked like oil.

We were doing the fall foliage tour driving on mountain roads and a smell developed like something burning. Stopped and checked oil and no oil registered on dip stick. The passenger side had streaks of black heavy fluid. I just figured it was oil. Now that you mention if FWD or AWD I am not sure. But, the loss of oil had me leaning to oil leak. I cannot figure how oil would end up on side of car. It looked like I drove over a recently paved road.

Next, you get a large piece of paper. White paper is good, but newspaper is OK. If you have a driveway or garage, you place the paper on the ground and tape it into position. Then drive the car over it and park it. Come back 12-24 hours later and back the car off. Then examine the paper to see if there are any new fluid drips showing. If there are, then notice the location with respect to the underside of the car. For example, are new drips along the centerline, or off to one side? That will lead you to a good idea of where the fluid is actually coming from on the car.

Sometimes leaks happen only when the car is moving, or only when the car is leaning on a turn. Some leaks like power steering might happen only when the steering wheel is cranked over to one side or the other. Brake fluid leaks might happen only when the brakes are jammed on.

Besides these fluids, sometimes grease will appear as a dark oily fluid.

When you checked the motor oil dipstick and you got a zero level, then what did you do? For that reason, I carry a quart of motor oil in the trunk of the car.

I watched the guys working at an oil change shop. They finished one car, then started it up to back it out. Immediately oil was spraying onto the ground. They had forgotten to tighten the drain plug. When the rest of us customers saw that, we left in a hurry while our cars were still intact. I've never been back.

Mad*Max is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2012 Chev Sonic

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by poordad View Post
    I noticed oil on the passenger side and front of rear wheel my 2011 Buick Lacrosse. Had to add 2 quarts of oil. Any ideas as to the possible cause? Thank you.
    So from your post am I to gather that once you added the 2 quarts you started the car and everything is fine now and it is not losing any more oil?

Thread Information