Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2004 Buick Century Remote Start Problems

Exclamation 2004 Buick Century Remote Start Problems

My mom just bought a 2004 Century, a very nice car by the way. She said she couldn't get the remote start to work so I tried it yesterday. The doors would unlock and the car would start, then about 5 seconds later it shuts off and the doors lock. I tried starting the car with the key and then trying the remote start, but the same think kept happening, car starts but shuts off after about 5 seconds. Any ideas??

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Re: 2004 Buick Century Remote Start Problems

Welcome to the forums! When you start the car with the key, does the engine continue to run normally? I don't think remote start was an option from the factory in '04, so it sounds like someone had an aftermarket remote start installed. It could also be a combination remote start & security system. If that is the case, it sounds like the security system is shutting off the engine after 5-sec. Do you have any identification on the remote that might give the name & model number of the system?

thanks for the welcome!! yes the car runs fine with the key. I do believe it might be aftermarket because there is the normal lock/unlock/trunk/alarm remote and a separate remote for the starter. I will check with my mother to see if it has any markings and I can do my own research on that. She does have a trouble light on due to an antilock brake sensor, i wonder if that could be the problem?

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Remove this ad
    She does have a trouble light on due to an antilock brake sensor, i wonder if that could be the problem?
    There is no relationship between the ABS system & the remote start/security system. Sorry, but that is another problem.

Thread Information