Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2011 Regal CXL 2.4

2011 Regal CXL 2.4

I have had my buick regal since June 2016. I found out in January 2017 that my engine died. I got a used engine installed it came from a 2011 Regal as well this engine had only 74,000 miles. From the time that I bought the car it has burned lots of oil. Last time I checked it was burning between 1 quart every 1,000 miles in between oil changes. Now my check engine light is on and the code is 0420 low efficiency catalyst converter. I do not know what to do I have spent money trying to figure out why the car burns so much oil. One mechanic says I won't be able to do anything about the oil consumption, but to keep topping the oil off in between oil changes. Another mechanic says it must be a piston ring issue. If it is a piston ring issue is there a way to help it or relieve it without spending thousands of dollars that I don't have considering I spent $2,000 already this year on replacing the entire engine?

kristofour is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2013 Regal Turbo

Re: 2011 Regal CXL 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Thomas View Post
    I have had my buick regal since June 2016. I found out in January 2017 that my engine died. I got a used engine installed it came from a 2011 Regal as well this engine had only 74,000 miles. From the time that I bought the car it has burned lots of oil. Last time I checked it was burning between 1 quart every 1,000 miles in between oil changes. Now my check engine light is on and the code is 0420 low efficiency catalyst converter. I do not know what to do I have spent money trying to figure out why the car burns so much oil. One mechanic says I won't be able to do anything about the oil consumption, but to keep topping the oil off in between oil changes. Another mechanic says it must be a piston ring issue. If it is a piston ring issue is there a way to help it or relieve it without spending thousands of dollars that I don't have considering I spent $2,000 already this year on replacing the entire engine?
    https://gm.oemdtc.com/1893/excessive...-chevrolet-gmc

You need new piston rings. There is nothing you can do to alleviate or slow it down. Don't waste your money on additives or empty promises from the auto parts store.

What was the manufacture date of your car? Check this out and don't take no for an answer from the dealership.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...under-warranty

My car is not under warranty. I did not buy the car from a dealer. Are there any recalls for this?

Quote Originally Posted by kristofour View Post
    https://gm.oemdtc.com/1893/excessive...-chevrolet-gmc

You need new piston rings. There is nothing you can do to alleviate or slow it down. Don't waste your money on additives or empty promises from the auto parts store.

What was the manufacture date of your car? Check this out and don't take no for an answer from the dealership.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...under-warranty
    My car is not under warranty. I did not buy the car from a dealer. Are there any recalls for this?

kristofour is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2013 Regal Turbo

The warranty stays with the car regardless of where you purchased it - as long as its under the time and mileage limits. Power train is 5 years/100K miles.

No recalls, but the article above states that GM was working with owners to replace engines free of charge.

Remove this ad
    Thanks so much!! I will check into this quick.

Thread Information