Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Buick Shame?

Thread: Buick Shame?

Buick Shame?

I realize I'm asking on the wrong forum, but are any of you guys ashamed to be driving a Buick?

I like European cars, I drive Japanese cars, I've never owned an American car (I'm 43), and Buicks were the cars that my grandparents drove (not my father's Oldsmobile, but my grandfather's Century).

I can hardly fathom that I'm waiting to buy a Opel re-badged with Buick labels... I would have been less surprised if I'd turned out transgender, really.

My family and I are already planning to pull all the Buick badges off the car. I've de-badged most of my cars, but this time it'll really be complete.

Am I the only one here who can hardly bear the thought of buying a Buick, just because of all the baggage the brand carries?

Re: Buick Shame?

Well, I know Buick has some "grandpa-like" history - but Buick also has a high performance history we shouldn't forget. Buick GS 455. Grand National. There's a HUGE following for the Regal GS. There were a whole flurry of T-Types back in the 80s. Buick is very well-loved and appreciated in China. And us Americans love our Buicks as well. We're certainly not ashamed of Buick!

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Well, I know Buick has some "grandpa-like" history - but Buick also has a high performance history we shouldn't forget...
    Maybe it's an age thing. I came of age in the 1980s, and Buicks sucked then: bench seats, wheezing V6s, 3-speed slushboxes, and waterbed suspensions. (Nevermind the Grand National turbo — that was freakish.) They were even worse in the 1990s.

Since Buicks became rebadged Opel sedans and Chevy crossovers, I think they're fine, but I just can't get my head around the idea that I'm actually going to buy a Buick...

stoopid is online now Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 LaCrosse 1SL

Buick came on my radar when I looked at performance to price ratio, and realized they make good all-around cars now. You can usually find some discounts to further sweeten the deal. Although not perfect (current LTG piston issues, wheel bearing problems on older GS's, leaky headlights, etc), Buick falls near the top of all the reliability charts.

They're also good sleeper vehicles stock, I've had people do stupid shit and they end up promptly in my rear-view, never to be seen or heard from again. lol While near the bottom of the performance spectrum, considering how few cars on the road are actually 'performance' you're still way ahead of the curve compared to most other vehicles on the road. Being able to safely pass at will is a great tool if you don't like slow traffic dictating your pace.
    Last edited by stoopid; December 5th, 2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot leaky headlights

Skylarkin' is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Verano Turbo

The first question that came to my mind after reading your posts is, if it’s causing you so much angst, why buy it? Are you a vehicle enthusiast or will it just be an appliance to get you from Point A to Point B and back?

My father ignited my interest in GM cars in particular and cars in general. His mother drove GM models exclusively and Dad owned many GM vehicles from 1970 forward. I was the only one of the children in my family who grew up a gearhead. Grandma’s LeSabre and Mom’s Wildcat were smooth, powerful cruisers that could hold six passengers in comfort and their luggage in spacious trunks.

My first car was a ’77 X-body Skylark hatchback and I loved it – the smooth, torquey V-6 engine didn’t guzzle as much as gas the 305 or 350 V-8s and didn’t sound like a flourmill as the 250 inline six. As a bonus, I tossed my mountain bike in back and headed out to local parks to ride on weekends. The Skylark was practical, reliable, unlikely to be stolen and it was cheap to insure – all the things one should want in a first car. Besides, I never wanted the same kind of car most of my classmates drove, even if I had had the money then for a new Honda CRX, a Fox-body Mustang or a Camaro Z-28.

After I sold the Skylark, I bought a Chevy S-10 pickup before becoming a Saturn owner for 25 years. I traded in my ’06 Saturn on a ’15 Verano, which is now the favorite of all the vehicles I’ve owned. I never give a thought to what other people think of my car and as stoopid points out, when properly equipped, certain modern Buicks are sleepers. It’s been fun to surprise a few people on the interstate or on a ramp.

I bought my current Buick when I was 46. Buick desires buyers in our age demographic. You must have missed the switch 20-25 years ago when Lexus swiped Buick’s so-called blue-haired mantle and drove away with it. You can add Toyota’s Avalon, Camry and Corolla as accessories to the “crime,” at least where I live.

Not sure why Opel is even a factor since they have not been sold in the U.S. since 1975. Ask the average American driver under age 40 about Opel and he or she might think you mean the gemstone, opal, or they’ll just give you a blank stare. I never get into my car and fret that it’s really an Astra sedan. Most drivers here don’t know or care what their vehicle is called on another continent.

My first car was a 1977 Skylark. I now have a 2015 Buick Verano Turbo.

TurboLover is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2011 Regal Turbo (T03) - 6 sp manual & 2013 Verano Turbo

To the OP.... then why are you even considering a Buick? If your so worried bout what others think and are beholden to others opinions, then do what makes you comfortable. Why spend money to feel shameful.

From the 'bimmer' alias, I assume you are a BMW person. Good cars... buy that and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarkin' View Post
    Are you a vehicle enthusiast or will it just be an appliance to get you from Point A to Point B and back?

Not sure why Opel is even a factor since they have not been sold in the U.S. since 1975. Ask the average American driver under age 40 about Opel and he or she might think you mean the gemstone, opal, or they’ll just give you a blank stare. I never get into my car and fret that it’s really an Astra sedan. Most drivers here don’t know or care what their vehicle is called on another continent.

Enthusiast. If I were an A-to-B person, then I would buy any of the nice compact SUVs on the market...

My daily driver is a '16 Miata. My wife and I need something to replace our '08 Outback XT (turbo, 250hp). I want something that handles well and isn't sluggish, and I need something spacious (we're tall people, and we like road trips).

We spend several months a year in Germany, and any number of the station wagons on the market there would be super: Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord, VW Passat, Ford Mondeo (Fusion , Mazda 6, Opel Insignia (of course), plus the Europe-only brands (Renault, Peugeot, Skoda, etc.).

So, of all those options, the only one that's for sale in the States is the Opel.

BTW, you have a Regal? That's an Insignia, not an Astra.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLover View Post
    From the 'bimmer' alias, I assume you are a BMW person. Good cars... buy that and be happy.
    My daily driver in college and grad school was a 1974 2002tii. I sold it to buy an Impreza when I got married in 2001 (sigh). When I joined the Subaru forums, I called myself "Bimmer."

A BMW 3-series starts at $45,000 and isn't big enough. A BWW 5-series wagon would be super, but BMW doesn't sell them here. I'd love an Audi A7 or even a M-B E-class wagon or Volvo V90, but I don't have $50K+ to spend.

We test drove a new Outback, but the four is a dog, and with the flat six they start at $34K, and they handle poorly, and the wheels/tires preclude any serious rubber, and the roof-rack is an eyesore, and and and...

The only other station wagon under $40,000 is a VW Golf Sportwagen, but it's too small.

So, I'm waiting for a Buick... I mean, an Opel!

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I realize I'm asking on the wrong forum, but are any of you guys ashamed to be driving a Buick?

I like European cars, I drive Japanese cars, I've never owned an American car (I'm 43), and Buicks were the cars that my grandparents drove (not my father's Oldsmobile, but my grandfather's Century).

I can hardly fathom that I'm waiting to buy a Opel re-badged with Buick labels... I would have been less surprised if I'd turned out transgender, really.

My family and I are already planning to pull all the Buick badges off the car. I've de-badged most of my cars, but this time it'll really be complete.

Am I the only one here who can hardly bear the thought of buying a Buick, just because of all the baggage the brand carries?
    Yes, you are the only one that bear a shame for driving a Buick.

Seriously, I drive a car due to how it feels to me regardless of the brand name. Many car brands evolve or devolve over the years depending on the company leadership so you can not judge a car just by the badge. My last car was an 2014 KIA Optima SXL which was great car. My previous car before it was an 2011 Mercedes E350 4matic. However, the KIA had more features like cooled seats,turbo engine and blind spot monitoring that my Mercedes did not have. My KIA even had Napa leather seats while the Mercedes only had fake leather(MB tex). Granted , I could have bought a Mercedes with those features but the price would have been twice as much as the KIA Optima. KIA was a name plate that I would have never driven about 10 years ago, but they have evolved for the better.

Therefore, you should judge the product not the label.

I now drive a 2014 Buick Lacrosse and it is a nice looking car that is nothing to be a shame of. I am also younger that you.

It sounds like you have to get validation from others opinions to feel good about yourself, do not be that way. If you like a car brand just drive it proudly and forget about what others may think about it.

Hell, I know some BMW models that are crap but someone would buy them just to say that they have an BMW.

I also only purchased European or Japanese cars until recently(2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, 2010 VW CC 3.6, 2004 Infiniti FX45, 2001 Volvo S80 T6,etc) . American and Korean car makers are making products that are just as good or better depending on the models.

So do not sell yourself short by feeling shame for driving a particular brand of car. I read that many KIA owners did the same de-badging thing on the forums due to not like driving with a KIA badge even though they liked the car. Silly in my opinion.

So just rock that Buick with pride and stop tripping about what it badge used to mean years ago.
    Last edited by PurpleHaze; December 6th, 2017 at 04:02 AM.

2014 Midnight Amethyst Buick Lacrosse w/ Premium II package

K&N drop-in air filter
    LED interior/exterior light upgrade
    E85 only
    UR Racing strut tower brace
    Front air duct removal
    Bosch Icon wiper blades

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    Yes, you are the only one that bear a shame for driving a Buick.

It sounds like you have to get validation from others opinions to feel good about yourself, do not be that way. If you like a car brand just drive it proudly and forget about what others may think about it.

Nah, I'm not so worried about what other people think. I don't care what strangers think. Most of the people I hang out with aren't car people, anyway. The few friends I have who are car people will "get" that it's an Opel.

It's really the thought of what my 18-year-old self would think of my 43-year-old self, 25 years later...

FWIW, a bunch of my friends razzed me about having a BMW, when I did, because it was the 1990s and a BMW was a "yuppie" car (nevermind that mind wasn't a "yuppie" car at all).

And friends have razzed me for driving a Lesbaru, too. And now my Miata is a "ghey" car.

One big difference: I bought a BMW coffee cup and baseball cap when I drove one, and I have a bunch of Subaru paraphernalia, and have Miata ads hanging in my garage, but I don't see myself wearing a Buick cap or T-shirt...

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Nah, I'm not so worried about what other people think. I don't care what strangers think. Most of the people I hang out with aren't car people, anyway. The few friends I have who are car people will "get" that it's an Opel.

It's really the thought of what my 18-year-old self would think of my 43-year-old self, 25 years later...

FWIW, a bunch of my friends razzed me about having a BMW, when I did, because it was the 1990s and a BMW was a "yuppie" car (nevermind that mind wasn't a "yuppie" car at all).

And friends have razzed me for driving a Lesbaru, too. And now my Miata is a "ghey" car.

One big difference: I bought a BMW coffee cup and baseball cap when I drove one, and I have a bunch of Subaru paraphernalia, and have Miata ads hanging in my garage, but I don't see myself wearing a Buick cap or T-shirt...
    LOL. Just tell your 18 y/o self that you grew up and like nicer things now.

To be honest, I get it because I used to just pick a car on looks alone and how cool it was to own it. Now I like cars that gives me presence and is unique. I hate driving a car that everyone else has.

My 18 y/o self would look at my Buick Lacrosse and say damn I moved up in the world.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleHaze View Post
    LOL. Just tell your 18 y/o self that you grew up and like nicer things now.

Now I like cars that gives me presence and is unique. I hate driving a car that everyone else has.

LOL, that's true! I've always liked wagons, and looking at the specs, my 18-year-old self would be happy with the Buick (OK, not the slushbox, but c'est la vie).

And I'm loathe to jump on the "crossover" bandwagon.

Thread Information