Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Brake diaphragm ???

Brake diaphragm ???

Good day to all the LeSabre family,
    We have a 2000 LeSabre with approximately 110,000 miles. Just recently , we started having some braking issues. Brake is starting to feel harder as you push pedal down. A "swooshing" noise as it's pressed. So I did a little research and had the vehicle running, checked the hoses, checked the little valve into the diaphragm. Didn't see/hear anything. I wanted to know if I should get new valves. I saw that there appears to be one into the manifold. I was also going to change the brake fluid, it is quite dirty and bleed them. I also saw that, to change the diaphragm, is looks to be a bit of some work, as I will need to move the motor, for the diaphragm to clear it. Any thoughts will be appreciated...thanks in advance.

Re: Brake diaphragm ???

Ok, so I just had a chance to look and saw that the air was coming out from underneath the dash, around the rod that connects the pedal to the diaphragm. A circular valve it appears. So, I'm guessing it will need to be replaced. Will it damage the system if I don't change immediately ?

Re: Brake diaphragm ???

Remove this ad
    There is a seal there which appears to be leaking. The only valve is the one way check valve which is in the grommet on the booster. Used to trap vacuum and not drain the vacuum storage tank everytime the pedal is pushed.Won't damage anything but a panic stop might yield little power assist. Something to remember.

"I never pay to have something done which I can do myself."

Thread Information