Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Trick to protect buttons from peeling

Trick to protect buttons from peeling

I have a method of protecting the easy to scratch steering wheel and home link buttons from peeling due to finger nails. I used 3M clear automotive paint protective tape to cover the buttons where they are used the most over the lighted icons. I purchased a roll of 4in 3M tape from Amazon and it goes pretty clear so not too noticeable. You just have to cut sections small enough to just cover the icons on the buttons where you press them often. I only use the tape on the track selection buttons and the home link button I use.

I have done this because the steering wheels buttons are very easy to scratch. I purchased a new steering wheel from Ebay about 6months ago and one of the track selection buttons I use a lot is already starting to peel slightly on the up arrow. So I just covered it with the tape to stop it from getting worst and on the other buttons I used often before they peel also.

I purchased a new steering wheel from the same vendor on Ebay for $65 dollars again, but I will just swap out the controls. However, I will cover the buttons with 3m tape before I install the wheel controls in the car.

The 3M tape method is not perfect, but it beats having peeling control buttons in my opinion.

Here is where I buy my steering wheel for my 2014 Lacrosse.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-B...dWn94E&vxp=mtr

Pic of the tape covering the track buttons, the top button is the one that is starting to peel.

Tape covering the Home link button I use.

Last edited by PurpleHaze; January 11th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

2014 Midnight Amethyst Buick Lacrosse w/ Premium II package

K&N drop-in air filter
    LED interior/exterior light upgrade
    E85 only
    UR Racing strut tower brace
    Front air duct removal
    Bosch Icon wiper blades

Arthur_Davies is online now Junior Member My Buick(s): 2006 Lacrosse CX

Re: Trick to protect buttons from peeling

For first generation LaCrosse owners, the radio on/off knob and the tuning buttons always seem to scratch very easily, leaving ugly yellow/green marks where the paint has peeled off.

I went on ebay and searched for vinyl radio buttons. Couldn't find any for a LaCrosse, but could find them for an Enclave. They cost about $6 and were very easy to trim trim to size to fit the buttons on my car. Basically, you just cut them to size, peel them off the backing, and stick them on (they're self-adhesive), a little heat from a hair dryer stops them from peeling if you think they haven't completely stuck.

SD73 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 Buick LaCrosse CX

I've never thought of looking for stickers. I often wondered if anyone made that soft sort of clear rubber that could be used as a cover/protectant but before I did I found a decent set of buttons at the junk yard. However, I just looked on eBay and it turns out someone is selling custom ones for 1st Gen LaCrosses. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2009-B...dVltzW&vxp=mtr I'd be interested in hearing how these work if any of you decide to step up.

This one US$32

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08...RYDO8e&vxp=mtr

Car is 10yr old, not sure if $32 is worth it.

'07 LaCrosse CXL

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

"I have a method of protecting the easy to scratch steering wheel and home link buttons from peeling due to finger nails."

Would it not be somewhat cheaper and easier to keep your fingernails cut & trimmed with a file, rather causing damage to the steering wheel buttons? I never touch my wheel buttons with a fingernail & only my finger 'skin' (not fingernails) to operate the steering wheel buttons, or any other controls and they still look like new after 22-yrs!

Quote Originally Posted by HotZ28 View Post
    "I have a method of protecting the easy to scratch steering wheel and home link buttons from peeling due to finger nails."

Would it not be somewhat cheaper and easier to keep your fingernails cut & trimmed with a file, rather causing damage to the steering wheel buttons? I never touch my wheel buttons with a fingernail & only my finger 'skin' (not fingernails) to operate the steering wheel buttons, or any other controls and they still look like new after 22-yrs!
    LOL. If only it was so easy!!!

I would find it very hard for me to tell my wife to cut her nails and "careful" touching the control buttons every time she drives the car. Hell, I do not always take time to ensure that I my nails are always perfectly trimmed and that I only touch the buttons with my finger tips.

The problem is not finger nail length, it is the fact that GM uses some very cheap paint over the control buttons that do not hold up to repeated "normal" use. By "normal" use I mean not having to baby the controls. I can understand the buttons peeling after 6-8 years of use, but GM buttons start peeling sooner than that especially most of the truck and SUV buttons.

The roll of 3M clear automotive body paint protective tape method only cost me $10, so I can use my buttons using my fingernails if I want to, so I feel that the 3M tape method is easier than trying to touch my buttons certain way and obsessing with finger nail length.

Post a picture of your "perfect" looking original control buttons please.

Note: Your 1996 has different buttons than the crappy painted buttons on the 2002 and newer models. My 2006 Caddy buttons peels easy as well.

The best way to protect the buttons is not to use them at all, however I use my track up button a lot to skip songs on the digital streaming radio channels.
    Last edited by PurpleHaze; January 14th, 2018 at 07:11 AM.

Arthur_Davies is online now Junior Member My Buick(s): 2006 Lacrosse CX

Remove this ad
    Irony of ironies. After being all proud of my $6 vinyl sticker trick, the CD player has now started skipping (badly). Oh well, a trip to Crutchfield for my birthday this year, I guess!

Crutchfield's solution to keeping the dash looking pretty after removing the manufacturer installed radio and replacing it with a traditional radio seems to be a replacement panel, with a space cut out for the new radio and a little storage space below it. So, at that point, no more worn Buick buttons to have to try to disguise, I guess.

Thread Information