Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 1992 Roadmaster Wagon sputtering issue
    BigReed79 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Question 1992 Roadmaster Wagon sputtering issue

Good evening all, I am pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to figure this out. I have a '92 Roady wagon with the 350 TBI. The problem I'm having is a hesitation (kind of spits and sputters) on acceleration. Here's the really weird part, if the gas cap is on, it runs worse (almost chokes itself out) once you take the gas cap off, it will stay running but still have the hesitation on acceleration. Fuel filter has been replaced and I have also just replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. The new plugs and wired definitely helped but didn't solve the issue. Thank you in advance

Re: 1992 Roadmaster Wagon sputtering issue

Let your mechanic hook your engine up to his computer/code reader and it should point you in the direction of your problem....lot easier/cheaper than just replacing parts.....

HotZ28 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU

Codes will not detect fuel deliver problems on the TBI! I had the same problem with my stolen 1988 Chevrolet truck with the same TBI engine (L05). I replaced the fuel pressure regulator in the throttle body and the problem was resolved! Look closely at the fuel spray pattern in the TB when you bump the throttle. If it is a dripping fuel delivery, rather than a clean mist spray, replace the regulator.
    The are cheap and easy to replace.

1996 PA Ultra Series II - 3.4” pulley (11.5 psi boost), Autolite 104's, MSD coils & wires, 160 deg. T-stat. Flashed '97 PCM, Lucerne 17" Chrome Wheels
    Cold air is OK.....Turbo Charging is better....but, I'd rather be Blown!!

BigReed79 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Remove this ad
    Well, after some more investigation found the thin plastic vacuum line from the MAP sensor to the throttle body was broken. Put a new line on and it seems to have corrected the issue. Once it warms up I'm gonna replace all the vacuum lines (it's - 9 here right now and I don't have a heated garage lol)

Thread Information