Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: High mileage oil - worth it?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    stoopid is online now Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 LaCrosse 1SL

Re: High mileage oil - worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick341 View Post
    There are a ton of comparisons on oil brands done by independent labs all over the WWW. Amzoil and Pennzoil are on top in most of them. https://www.yourbestpicks.com/best-s...etic Motor Oil.
    There aren't any(?) comparisons of high mileage oils, at least nothing the last time I looked the other day. Or any studies regarding the benefits of high mileage oils. Mobile did do a study for their 20,000 mile "annual protection" oil, but that's not the oil being discussed here.

BuickLacrosse is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 LaCrosse CX 3.8L

thinking wearing a specific article of clothing with a logo will impact the results of a game due to "supernatural" properties like increased luck for the favored team.
    I was wearing my Saints shirt Sunday and look what happened there. It worked in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by BuickLacrosse View Post
    I was wearing my Saints shirt Sunday and look what happened there. It worked in reverse.
    LOL. Hell, I wore my Falcons beanie to work last week and it did not help my team catch the last pass of the game that costed them the game.

2014 Midnight Amethyst Buick Lacrosse w/ Premium II package

K&N drop-in air filter
    LED interior/exterior light upgrade
    E85 only
    UR Racing strut tower brace
    Front air duct removal
    Bosch Icon wiper blades

DonP is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 Buick LaCrosse.

A wise mechanic once told me that nothing poured out of a can is going to fix a mechanical problem; e.g., worn seals. It may just hide the problem for a while. That said hiding a problem for a while may be the right answer for a car you are going to unload in the near future. By the same token burning more oil may be lower net cost over the remaining ownership of a vehicle than paying for an overhaul.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../forum_summary is a good site for discussions about motor oils.

I believe the thing about high mileage oils is that old, worn engines need more additives (detergents, seal conditioners, friction modifiers, viscosity improvers, etc.) to make it between recommended oil change intervals (OCI). With a newer engine regular oil retains the needed properties for the full OCI, but a worn engine it may not. Symptoms that indicate one may benefit from a high mileage oil can include smoke, increased oil use, oil leaks, and of course the results of oil tests.

Bottom line is do what makes you feel comfortable.

ClayBelt is offline 3.8L Member My Buick(s): 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS (3.6L)

I use generic, regular oil from whatever parts store I go to. Usually whatever is 5qts and a filter for $20. Only thing I do is change the Oil and Filter every 3000 miles (5000km). I have made it to 227k miles on the stock engine that way, and near as I can tell none of the previous owners had any fancy Oil in the car. Only additive used was Marvel when I first got it so as to loosen up any crud in the system, ended having to replace a leaky valve cover Gasket for that reason.

stoopid is online now Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 LaCrosse 1SL

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
    I use generic, regular oil from whatever parts store I go to. Usually whatever is 5qts and a filter for $20. Only thing I do is change the Oil and Filter every 3000 miles (5000km). I have made it to 227k miles on the stock engine that way, and near as I can tell none of the previous owners had any fancy Oil in the car. Only additive used was Marvel when I first got it so as to loosen up any crud in the system, ended having to replace a leaky valve cover Gasket for that reason.
    And yet your anecdotal experience runs contrary to another poster's experience. Who are we to believe!!!??? It's all so confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DonP View Post
    A wise mechanic once told me that nothing poured out of a can is going to fix a mechanical problem; e.g., worn seals. It may just hide the problem for a while. That said hiding a problem for a while may be the right answer for a car you are going to unload in the near future. By the same token burning more oil may be lower net cost over the remaining ownership of a vehicle than paying for an overhaul.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../forum_summary is a good site for discussions about motor oils.

I believe the thing about high mileage oils is that old, worn engines need more additives (detergents, seal conditioners, friction modifiers, viscosity improvers, etc.) to make it between recommended oil change intervals (OCI). With a newer engine regular oil retains the needed properties for the full OCI, but a worn engine it may not. Symptoms that indicate one may benefit from a high mileage oil can include smoke, increased oil use, oil leaks, and of course the results of oil tests.

Bottom line is do what makes you feel comfortable.
    This

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information