Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums
Buick Forum: 2004 Buick Lesabre new owner
    Akv4590 is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 2004 Buick LeSabre Limited

2004 Buick Lesabre new owner

Hello all!
    My name is Al. I recently purchased a 2004 Buick lesabre Limited with 89000 miles. 3800 series II engine.

Any upkeep info and tricks and hack would be appreciated!

But to start:
    When car is parked and I rev the engine after itís warmed up it stutters around 4K rpm.
    Also Iíve noticed coolant around the upper intake manifold. Iím assuming that that is where the coolant is leaking from since that seems to be an issue with these engines.

The guy who sold it to me didnít mention the coolant issue.

Is that a safe assumption to make about the coolant. Iíve noticed it on both sides of the manifold. It has the stock plastic elbows replaced with aluminum from the pulley.

I was hoping to do the replacement myself and I have minimal automotive experience but it seems straightforward enough.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    Al

Bob393 is offline A Regular My Buick(s): 2002 Lesabre, 2004 Lesabre

Re: 2004 Buick Lesabre new owner

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm pretty sure that the 04 did not have the plastic elbows. I know my gen 1's did, pre 2000 but I think GM actually fixed this known problem.
    I would check the thermostat gasket, at least that seems to have been a problem with most of my cars.
    As far s the shuttering at 4000 rpm sitting still, why do it. If its fine on the road don't worry about it.
    I don't think I have ever revved a parked cat up to 4000 rpm.

I love these cars and the have been good to me. I call them no brainer cars.
    That is you just get in and drive. No muss no fuss.

My Buicks over the years:
    2004 Lesabre Limited, Daily driver
    2002 Lesabre Custom, Sold
    2003 Lesabre Limited, Celebrity Edition, Sold
    1994 Lesabre Custom, Sold
    1992 Lesabre Custom, Sold

I believe the 2004 had the problematic plastic UIM. Some things to look at are the coolant elbows near the water pump. The orings could be weeping. Faulty/warped UIM and gasket. The EGR passage could have burned through to the one coolant passage to the throttle body.You will see coolant around the throttle body area. If it came down to that, I would replace the elbows, UIM/gasket and the lower intake gasket with a Felpro metal backed gasket. All these items were junk from the start and there are improved aftermarket parts available. As far as the engine goes, check for any current or pending codes. Maintenance items such as fuel filter, plugs and wires would be at the top of my list that could cause your issue. After that, you need to start doing some diagnostic work, don't guess and start throwing parts at it.

"I never pay to have something done which I can do myself."

Thanks for the info!
    Update: gas cap loose check gas cap keeps popping up on my DIC whenever I turn on accessories or start the car.

Bob I’ll check the thermostat. I run up the rpms after it’s warmed up to check airflow and any shuddering or stuttering. I don’t red line it an make sure it’s warmed up. My logic being I’d rather have a catastrophe parked in my driveway than on the road. And I don’t do it all the time. I really like this car and I’ve always wanted a Buick. I just hope this one lasts me and doesn’t leave me regretful.

Lubener, thanks for the info. I plan on changing out the regular maintenance stuff once I find out what major stuff needs work. I’m not experienced as a diagnostician. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick up some more info on these forums.

Does anyone have a line on the repair manual online for the 2004 Lesabre?
    Thanks again for the info!

Ultra Ego is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue

I had a coolant leak on my ‘03, and was braced for the worst news. Turned out to be a leaking throttle body gasket. Yes, they circulate the coolant through the throttle body housing. A few dollars and one hour later, I was good to go.

2003 Park Avenue Ultra
    2003 LeSabre Limited

Remove this ad
    Ultra ego
    That’s good to hear. I’m hoping it’s something simple. I haven’t had a chance to really get under the hood just yet, but I hope my coolant issue is an easy one.

Update on my gas cap issue. I read on a different site about the error code checking procedure and the parameters for setting the large leak and small leak tests and I tried them out and it seems I did it right cause th gas cap error message is no longer... for the time being.
    Although it makes me wonder if the check engine light is just burned out!

Thread Information