Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums
Buick Forum: 2006 Lucerne CXS dead due to cold weather
    Smiley-EL is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 Buick Lucerne CXS, Black and chrome with tan leather

2006 Lucerne CXS dead due to cold weather

Hey Everyone!

This is the third time so there has to be an issue... Listen.
    So, in North Texas, we are cold several times a year. It's 37 now with an expected high of 46.
    About to go run errands and the remote start wouldn't work - that's how I know either the engine light has come on or the car is dead. So, no remote start. I open it (it's in the garage) and it's dead. This is the third time that it's happened in the few years I've had it. The last time was about a year ago.
    Has anyone else encountered this? What did you find out, and what did you do to fix it?
    This car has all of the DTS options (4.6L V8) except the roof.
    There isn't a draw on the battery that I know of; it doesn't happen regularly enough to classify as a draw. Or does it?
    I am charging the battery now. The battery is less than a year old. This summer I put a new alternator in and had to replace the battery in the process. That said, it IS an AutoZone battery that the computer says is the right one for this car. I haven't had any problems with their batteries in the past...
    I have no earthly idea...

I Am That I Am
    Larry Smiley-El

Re: 2006 Lucerne CXS dead due to cold weather

Regardless of the fit, what quality of battery did you buy from Auto Zone? You get what you pay for. Those cheap econocraft batteries they sell are only warrantied for 3 months, and there is likely a good reason behind that. That's why they only cost about 1/3 of what a premium battery sells for.

Regardless of what quality battery you have, most auto part stores will run a free battery capacity test for you. That will help you determine whether your battery is the problem, or whether something in the car is excessively draining it when the ignition is off.

Smiley-EL is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2006 Buick Lucerne CXS, Black and chrome with tan leather

No sir. I learned an expensive lesson going that route with my DeVille a number of years ago. I spent the money for the biggest and best one the make for my car. It has a three year extended warranty too.

How long was it sitting since you ran it last? I know on my 06 CXS that if it sits for about 9 days or longer it will be dead, I always have to make sure to run it once a weak, or put a trickle charger on it.

Bobert is offline Buick Newbie My Buick(s): 5 Buicks - new used 07 Lucerne, Black cream int with coco accents. 4 Reatti (Plural of Raetta)

Remove this ad
    This single digit cold snap and same no start thing. Mine kept needing jumping. Doing short hops. Computer charging system test said battery low but capable. A deep charge and it's good.

Thread Information