Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums
Buick Forum: Desperate for help 2012 Verano Engine

Desperate for help 2012 Verano Engine

I need some serious advice. Recently, my wife an I took a road trip to Nashville from Atlanta in my 2012 Buick Verano. Upon our arrival my car began to chug and jerk and nearly stall. I pulled into the quickest parking lot which happened to have Valvoline oil change shop in it. They quickly waved me in and asked what I was experiencing. The had me shut off the car and restart it. Upon the restart the engine light came on. They plugged in the code reader and it read a “misfire”. They changed my oil and said it looked low even though I had it changed less than 3000 miles ago. I started my car and left the shop. One mile away my car completely died. We were lucky to be able to coast down the hill on a very busy road into a parking lot. The car would not restart. We were panicked to say the least. Far from home with no one we knew in the area. We called roadside assistance and had the car towed to a local shop. We also contacted Buick who had nothing much to say except my cars warranty expired just a few months ago. We had to pay to have our car transported all the way back to Atlanta from Nashville and have been paying for a rental car as well. The mechanic in Atlanta said that it looks like the engine was burning through oil MUCH faster than it should which caused lower oil pressure which led to a timing belt break and since it is an interference engine, it caused the cams to jump out of time and valves hit the pistons thus causing catastrophic engine damage. (I’m not a mechanic and I could be off on the small details because this all foreign to me but the end result is the same)
    I am completely beside myself. This car is a 2012 with only 80,000 miles. I am the original owner and follow all the recommended maintenance protocols. I expected this car to last many many many more years and miles. I don’t know what to do and AM desperate for help!

KevinJ is online now Contributing Member My Buick(s): 2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)

Re: Desperate for help 2012 Verano Engine

Wow... So sorry for your bad luck.

Well, first off, excessive oil consumption is a known problem with these 2.4L's.
    Have you noticed this as a problem in the past?
    You can google 2.4's and oil consumption and find all kinds of links about it.
    And it has also been discussed in a couple of threads on this forum.
    I believe some individuals have lobbied for GM to issue a recall or at least a TSB to address the issue, but of course that has not happened.

Some owners however have dealt with GM directly on the issue with varying degrees of success.
    Usually, GM wants an oil usage analysis done over a set period of time/mileage along with samples of the used oil being provided.
    I'm assuming this is probably done through a GM/Buick dealership.
    Basically, the owner has to prove to GM their engine has an oil consumption problem before GM will provide any kind of monetary or mechanical repair compensation.

With your engine already "damaged", you could try to take it to a dealership and have them do the same diagnosis as you have already had done.
    And hopefully they will make the same determination about oil starvation/pressure causing the failure.
    You will also need to be able to provide some kind of verifiable service record that oil changes were done on schedule.
    After having done all of that, GM/Buick Corporate "might" make a determination that the engine "died" prematurely and provide some kind of restitution.

Is it worth going into a dealership and at least talking to a service manager and/or some kind of warranty manager about it... yes.
    But I highly doubt they will want to deal with it either, since the vehicle is "out of warranty".
    The age and mileage of the vehicle make the odd's very much against you.

Basically, I think you are probably on your own.

So you need to ask yourself these questions...
    1. Do I like and want to keep this vehicle enough to pay a "not insignificant" amount of money to have it repaired?
    2. Is the vehicle in good enough overall condition to be worth repairing? I am assuming it is...
    3. Can the engine be rebuilt?
    If so, then at what cost?
    Any kind of warranty with the rebuild?
    Will the original oil consumption/pressure problem that caused the failure also be repaired?
    4. Is it more cost effective to get a new engine with a good warranty?
    5. Is it possible to get a good low mileage used engine out of a salvage yard? And what kind of warranty does it have?
    6. Do you have a trusted independent shop you can have do the work or would a dealership be doing the work? Prices will vary!!

Give yourself options, then decide what's best for you and your pocket book.

Lastly, if GM won't help and it becomes cost prohibitive to repair, then you will be probably forced to sell it "as is".
    You could try selling through craigslist or something like that and maybe find a buyer who can/will do the repairs themselves.
    Or you can probably sell it to a salvage yard who will most likely "part it out".

Good luck going forward, and let us know the outcome...
    Last edited by KevinJ; February 13th, 2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Typo...

KevinJ is online now Contributing Member My Buick(s): 2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)

Hey.... I just caught something in your original post.
    You've been told the "timing belt" broke?

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure these engines have timing chains.
    I just checked a couple Verano Owner Manuals and found nothing about changing or the servicing of a timing belt or chain.

Though not impossible, it is rare for a timing chain to break.
    Double check to make sure you are not getting scammed.

Skylarkin' is offline Sustaining Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Verano Turbo

Kevin's correct - the Ecotec family of engines use timing chains, not belts. Hope the OP is able to follow at least some of Kevin's suggestions.

My first car was a 1977 Buick Skylark. Daily driver is a 2015 Buick Verano Turbo. Optimistically eyeing a 2020 or 2021 Regal GS next, if they're still around.

Thank you for your response!
    I called my local dealership and was told it would be $75 to diagnose the issue. I then paid $100 to have my car towed to them. Since I was in the area I actually stopped by to speak with the service manager who told me it would be $850 to take the engine apart and see what the problem was. IF we decided not to have it fixed there it would be $850 to have it put back together. I WAS FLABBERGASTED! He then decided to lower the price to $450 for diagnosis and $450 to put back together if we decided to not have them replace the engine. I really am at a loss. I would have never agreed and paid to have my car towed over there if I knew this was the price.

I have a mechanic that gave me a price of $2300 for a used engine with 45k miles on it and a 5 year warranty. At this point I feel like I should cut my losses and have it sent back to the mechanic because I can't even afford the diagnostics at the dealership!

Should I call GM and see what they have to say?

Remove this ad
    You could try and to get in contact with some sort of regional or area GM Rep.
    Somebody who is not directly employed by the dealership.
    As to what kind of resolution you may get? Hard to say, anybody's guess.

If the $2,300 for the used engine includes labor then that may be your best option.
    And the 5 year warranty sounds very good.
    Make sure you get it in writing and read the fine print for exclusions/exceptions.

Good Luck!!

Thread Information