63 overheats

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello everyone:

I'll just tell ya that I'm from S.C. Kansas, near Wichita. Now in Tucson, Arizona.
I have a 1963 Riviera, with 68,425 miles on it.

I need to ask your help.
Question is: why is this car, with a good running 401 V&, STILL overheating???

I've done -
Installed new head gaskets. OVERHEATS.
Radiator rodded out, new hoses and 160 deg. thermostat. OVERHEATS.
I made aluminum fan shroud. OVERHEATS.

I put timing on 10 degrees advanced and added new plugs too. This is not original rad'r. This has both up'r and low'r hose connects on LEFT side, drivers side. I think this should have hoses at top RIGHT and lower LEFT.

Hope I haven't violated too many rules here. I just need some help getting her fixed.
Thanks alot.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Hello everyone:

I'll just tell ya that I'm from S.C. Kansas, near Wichita. Now in Tucson, Arizona.
I have a 1963 Riviera, with 68,425 miles on it.

I need to ask your help.
Question is: why is this car, with a good running 401 V&, STILL overheating???

I've done -
Installed new head gaskets. OVERHEATS.
Radiator rodded out, new hoses and 160 deg. thermostat. OVERHEATS.
I made aluminum fan shroud. OVERHEATS.

I put timing on 10 degrees advanced and added new plugs too. This is not original rad'r. This has both up'r and low'r hose connects on LEFT side, drivers side. I think this should have hoses at top RIGHT and lower LEFT.

Hope I haven't violated too many rules here. I just need some help getting her fixed.
Thanks alot.

How do you know it is overheating? Is it boiling over? Do you have a Gauge?

trlbzrss

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Little Rock,Ar.
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal
"I put timing on 10 degrees advanced and added new plugs too. This is not original rad'r. This has both up'r and low'r hose connects on LEFT side, drivers side. I think this should have hoses at top RIGHT and lower LEFT" Quote

If this is how the radiator is then it's no wonder it runs hot all the time. The hot water from the block empties into the same tank that feeds the engine so how does the water cool. I believe I'd try to find the right radiator for the car.

pbrktrt

muskegon mi
Buick Ownership
Buick 1995 riviera sc
A good radiator shop should be able to move the outlet to the other side.

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
How do you know it is overheating? Is it boiling over? Do you have a Gauge?
To Larry70gs - When coolant and steam escape from the fill location of the radiator, from under the cap, I only assumed it is overheated; is there a better term you'd use? OH, and it burns like the dickens when it gets on yur hand too. ;o)

No gage for temp, just the stock "idiot light", which doesn't light up either by the way.

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
to update this post; I'd add only this, ... when searching internet for another radiator for the car, I'm finding alot of them have upper hose fitting on LEFT and lower on the RIGHT!

Now Im willing to use the upper left location but I can not move lower hose to lower right side; not enough hose to go from lower left to lower right side.

Thanks

NFortin198

Buick Ownership
2002 Buick Century Custom 3.1 2002 Buick LeSabre 3.8
Do the cooling fins of the radiator run vertically or horizontally. If they are horizontal, the hoses can not be on the same side, as TRLBZRSS has pointed out, however if they run vertically(Up and Down) then it does not matter.. Since this is not the origanal radiator, perhaps it is too small for the vehicle(Capacity too Low or insufficent cooling surface). The tubes in the core may also be the incorrect size causing a low flow rate which essentialy is like plugging it up, causing the coolant to flow very slowly and keeping the coolant in the block longer than it should be, therefore causing it to overheat. A good radiator shop should be able to tell you if the current radiator is sufficent to handle the job, or if its not up to the job.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
to update this post; I'd add only this, ... when searching internet for another radiator for the car, I'm finding alot of them have upper hose fitting on LEFT and lower on the RIGHT!

Now Im willing to use the upper left location but I can not move lower hose to lower right side; not enough hose to go from lower left to lower right side.

Thanks

I suggest you join over at www.v8Buick.com They have a Nailhead forum, and the guys there are really very good. They will be able to show you what the correct radiator looks like.

I

pbrktrt

muskegon mi
Buick Ownership
Buick 1995 riviera sc
If I remeber correctly from the one I had, 63-65 used the same radiator. Inlet on dr side and outlet on pass. Getting hoses by application should be correct. If you still have an issue, add an electric fan kit.

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
If I remeber correctly from the one I had, 63-65 used the same radiator. Inlet on dr side and outlet on pass. Getting hoses by application should be correct. If you still have an issue, add an electric fan kit.

Now believe me, I'm not being a smarta**s but; ... Not sure just which one is the inlet, does the water pump Push coolant to the rad. or Pull it into the engine? I've never quite known and haven't wanted to take a hose off the pump to find out.

OH, something I didn't say til now, (the folks I got Reva from tell me that the car 'never did heat up when we had it'.) This tells me that this trouble has very recently begun.

Interesting too is statement that horizontal finned rad. can't have hoses on same side. (too late to look tonight but I think the TUBES do mount "up and down" when you look through the fins.) I'll look in the morning to be sure.

pbrktrt

muskegon mi
Buick Ownership
Buick 1995 riviera sc
The top is the inlet and you know where it goes from there. Your radiator is a downflow (tubes are vertical) The cooling fins are always horizontal. A crossflow rad. is the opposite. Another place to look would be the water pump. It may have a damaged or loose impeller.

Last edited:

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well everyone: Thanks pbrktrt but - I think I've found the trouble. I've put a new fan clutch on the engine and will test it today. (it was worn at shaft and had alot of play sideways moving). It did drive about 10 miles without heating up but I ran out of gas and it had a chance to cool again before I got going again.

Fan had alot of play at the shaft so I replaced it.

I'll let you know the results.

Oh. Another question please - which adhesive is used to attach the vertical chrome strips, along front edge of rear quarter windows? I just got a pair and used the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive but one has come loose again. Just wondered.

Thank all
Michael.

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello all:

Today I went to a diagnostic shop to find what's causing overheating. I'm at my "wit's end" and so I thought, "the experts" should be able to tell.

They did some fiddling and thought the car needed a "power flush" of the system SOooo, I let them. I mean they have the equipment right! Afterward they decided that now the block needs backflushed too. (there are minute particles showing in the coolant now in the system that 'need to come out' they say.

I got home without overheat, even with cap tight. This is due to the range of some 10*-12* cooler than earlier. I'm told it should be around 15-25.

So I took the radiator out, water manifold bolts and tomorrow I'll back flush the engine.
I do hope this takes care of it but I'm not gonna get too excited just yet.

Later, Michael.

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello to everyone:

Got the car home as mentioned.
Radiator out and I flushed it some but didn't get much out of it w/ just a garden hose.

Water pump is off and looks great. Actually looks fairly new.
Thermostat out and water manifold loose but need to loosen pwr strg pump bracket yet.

I think I'll take out block drains then remove water manifold so I'll have those two ducts to kinda backflush water jackets down toward pump.

Gonna raise front end so flush will go backward. Maybe 15 to 30 min. flush. Then front to ride stance and raise rear end to go other way and go again.

SO; gotta go get new gaskets for manifold, water pump, and thermostat housing. Guess I'll get new belts for alt. and pwr strg pump too. Old ones are cracked pretty badly.

Hope y'all aren't too bored yet. You've been very helpful and I appreciate your comments too.
More later.
Michael.

Last edited:

MRB451

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Welll it's been awhile and to those who are interested, the riviera hasn't "boiled over" from the heating trouble we've had in about 250 miles or so.

Town and highway driving doesn't matter, so far there has been no overheating problem.

I'd like to say again how I appreciate all you folks' comments and suggestions.

Take care, God bless you
and stay safe and happy!

Michae.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!