70 Riv Wiring Question

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Hey recently purchased a 70 Riviera and don't have my manuals that I ordered yet and was hoping for some wiring assistance.

1st is my gas gauge is showing full all the time. Previous owner has bypassed the in tank pump and added an inline pump. I have a ground, and 2 wires connected to the sending unit. Both wires connected to the top of sending unit have been helpfully replaced with red wires so I will have to chase them back to find the factory colors. That being said can someone give me the quick and dirty test pattern to verify wire and dash gauge? Usually it is done by touching the correct wire to ground to make gauge go to empty.

2nd is the A/C isn't working from the dash controls. Several wires were disconnected from the relay on the compressor bracket. If I hot wire to the compressor it kicks on and blows cold. At the A/C relay on top of the compressor I have 3 wires, dark blue that goes to compressor, green with white stripe and lime green.
The relay has 4 blades - 2 vertical directly above each other then horizontal in the middle and another horizontal at the other end that was connected to the dark blue. Anyone know which wire should go where on the relay?
Thanks,
Brian

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
also does anyone know why I am unable to register to v8buick or aaca ? aaca just errors out when I try to register and v8buick let me register a month ago and said an admin needed to approve me before access to post, message, search, or look at pics uploaded by users

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
thanks for the link

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Chased the red wires back on the sending unit on lunch and it looks like I have a tan wire and a blue wire (possibly with tan stripe, not sure as it was stuck to the tan wire not sure if it is a stripe or just transfer from the tan wire)

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I am a moderator over on V8buick. I can help get you approved. I need the screen name you registered under and your e mail address. Here are a few diagrams from the 70 Chassis manual dealing with the A/C,
RivAC1.jpg RivAC2.JPG
The fuel pump description starts on page 64-17 of the Chassis Manual. Wiring,
RivFuelPmp.JPG

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Larry, I registered on v8buick with this username and bmoix77@yahoo.com email
Thanks for the info, I used your Power Timing instructions over the last week or so and finally got my timing in the correct range this weekend and it made a night and day difference on my motor. I had way-way too much mechanical advance (30*) and had to make a busing to limit it. Temps on my motor dropped 20* and I picked up at least 50hp once I got 32* all in at 2k.

You have been a great resource of information since I have started my Buick journey, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Well that was quick, you are all set on V8. Post away. Start in "Wet Behind the Ears". Forum. Introduce yourself.

Loss4wrds

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Once again Larry thanks for your help and for sharing your knowledge

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners