70 riviera fuel pump

70 Rivi 455

Buick Newbie
West Texas
Buick Ownership
70' Buick Riviera 455
I have an 1970 riviera 455 recently aquired all ariginal with just over 60,000 miles and the fuel pump just went out. I have read that the 70' has an electric fuel pump, can you remove the electric and replace it with a mechanical pump? If possible how is this done?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
I have an 1970 riviera 455 recently aquired all ariginal with just over 60,000 miles and the fuel pump just went out. I have read that the 70' has an electric fuel pump, can you remove the electric and replace it with a mechanical pump? If possible how is this done?

It's easy enough to replace the electric fuel pump. There is an access panel in the trunk floor. Converting over to a mechanical pump would entail running new metal line on the other side of the car, and simply installing a mechanical pump in the timing chain cover in the stock location.

Have a look over at www.v8buick.com

70 Rivi 455

Buick Newbie
West Texas
Buick Ownership
70' Buick Riviera 455
Thanks Larry70GS,

Would you know if there is a return line I have tried to look and don't have a good lift to get a great look at the current fule line under the body of the car I have only found one line however I have not looked at the access pannel that you told me about, I was wondering this because I was going to order a TA pump and needed to know if I needed to get one with a return line fitting or not. Also TA has a carb to pump line I think will work to move the line over. Now I have found new metal fuel lines, to the pump and a return line will I also need a sender from the tank and remove my old electric pump?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

68Wildcat

Buick Ownership
68 Buick Wildcat Custom Convertible 455 4bbl
My 68 has a 455 out of a 71 Riviera with a mechanical pump setup.

The pump has the supply line to the carb with the fuel filter right where it connects to the carb. The pump also has 2 connections for rubber hoses which connect the fuel lines (Supply and Return). The supply connection is bigger than the return connection.

The sending unit in the tank also has the two connections and the float. The supply connection in the sending unit picks up the fuel with a little filter to keep the sediments out. The return connection has a valve internal to the sending unit that only opens when the fuel in the return line reaches a certain pressure. This valve is what maintains the fuel pressure to the carb.

The return line is there to help prevent vapour lock in the fuel system. If your current sending unit doesn't have the return line connection with the valve, then you might be able to run the system without the return line, but you could run into vapour lock problems.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Thanks Larry70GS,

Would you know if there is a return line I have tried to look and don't have a good lift to get a great look at the current fule line under the body of the car I have only found one line however I have not looked at the access pannel that you told me about, I was wondering this because I was going to order a TA pump and needed to know if I needed to get one with a return line fitting or not. Also TA has a carb to pump line I think will work to move the line over. Now I have found new metal fuel lines, to the pump and a return line will I also need a sender from the tank and remove my old electric pump?

Like 68 Wildcat stated, the stock fuel pump will have 2 lines. One supply line, and the other is a vapor return line. The return line keeps the fuel in the pump cooler to fight vapor lock. You are going to have to run new fuel lines anyway. I recommend you go with a Stage1 type fuel pump. You can get them almost anywhere. Airtex makes the pump, part number 40664, and it is only 27.79. at www.rockauto.com The supply line is 3/8, the return is 1/4. I'm not sure about the Riviera, but it will be tough bending up new fuel line. I would put it on in sections. You may need to replace your fuel tank to get the right sending unit, or have yours modified somehow.

Jimmydayco

Buick Newbie
Long Island NY
Buick Ownership
Buick

There is no need to replace the electric with a mechanical pump. Carter fuel pump number P6876 can be used as a replacement for the original pump. You do have to make a few minor modifications to the pump holder assembly. If you are attempting to replace the pump you already have all the skills to make the modifications. I did it on a 70 Riv myself so I know it works.

Izzy781

Buick Ownership
1970 buick riviera
There is no need to replace the electric with a mechanical pump. Carter fuel pump number P6876 can be used as a replacement for the original pump. You do have to make a few minor modifications to the pump holder assembly. If you are attempting to replace the pump you already have all the skills to make the modifications. I did it on a 70 Riv myself so I know it works.
@Jimmydayco, What modifications need to be done? I have a 70 and want to replace the pump..

SloRiv

Buick Ownership
64 Riviera. 69 Riviera
@Jimmydayco, What modifications need to be done? I have a 70 and want to replace the pump..
Call me at +13133638093. I just fixed my 69 Riv electric pump. I can help you or fix yours
i just replaced the pump in my 69 riviera. Call me at +13133638093 I can help you with yours or fix yours for you.

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Are we going back in time from 9-yrs ago??? This is an OLD thread from 2012!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners