'73 Riviera

Elton

Buick Ownership
1973 Buick Riviera
Looking at a '73 Boattail with console/floor shifter ... never seen one before. Was this a factory option????

Elton

Buick Ownership
1973 Buick Riviera
Where would I find the build sheet: under the front carpet ... back seat ... trunk???

Also ... where can I do a 13-number vin search ... all the vin searches on line want the 17-character vin?

Elton

Buick Ownership
1973 Buick Riviera
Going to look at it next week ... any suggestions for what to be wary of?

It's a project car but all the bright work seems to be there ... engine reportedly OK tranny won't go in reverse ... some rust, particularly the roof, but no serious body damage that I can tell.

Thanks to all for your help so far ...

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Where would I find the build sheet: under the front carpet ... back seat ... trunk???

Also ... where can I do a 13-number vin search ... all the vin searches on line want the 17-character vin?
You can't AFAIK. You may have some luck with specific state DMVs, probably not.
Going to look at it next week ... any suggestions for what to be wary of?

It's a project car but all the bright work seems to be there ... engine reportedly OK tranny won't go in reverse ... some rust, particularly the roof, but no serious body damage that I can tell.

Thanks to all for your help so far ...
I suggest you head over to V8buick.com

Way more traffic there specific to 60 and 70 Buick cars.

It is pretty hard to kill a THM400 transmission. I'd pay attention to the engine. If the transmission was neglected, the engine might be too. Listen to it run, check all the fluids. Oil pressure is really important with a Buick 455. Neglect can wear the oil pump and bearing clearances. If the car has an idiot light, you might not see trouble until the oil is warmed up thoroughly. That would take about 15-20 minutes at highway speeds. Then you will see a flickering light, or it may be on at idle. That means oil pressure is 7-9 psi. Listen for valve train or bearing noises.

Sheet metal may be difficult to find. One more reason to join V8buick. There are over 44,000 members worldwide.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Mechanical nothing special that wouldn't be found on any 455 Buick of that era. It's everything else that is limited to year only regarding the body, bumper and trim parts. Rust in the rear quarter panels, trunk, front lower, doors and if it has a vinyl roof. Take a look on this site to know what the differences are on the 73 vs the 71 & 72. Other than that there is little to go on from your post.
Also check here:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!