91 Reatta brights switch turn off headlights

yobry1

Buick Ownership
Reatta
I have a odd problem with headlights. When I flip the brights/turn signal lever, the headlights go completely off. Imagine that happening on a dark back road at night. The headlights light fine for normal lighting but turn off when pull lever to use the brights, turn back on to normal lights again when I pull the lever to turn off brights and the brights indicator on screen comes on but no lights at all. Has anyone ever experienced this/ What do I need to check/replace?

Buick Ownership
Reatta
did you look in your owners manual for headlight relays?
the multi function switch for the lights/directional may be defective.
All the relays/fuses etc are good. The only thing I can figure is the headlight dimmer switch is bad. Had to remove center console trim, lower dash trim, drop the steering wheel to get to the switch. It doesn't clk when pressed so I think it may be bad. The only match I found is a BWD #DS173 and Oreilly has it on their website but none in stock. BWD website no longer has them. I've checked several autoparts stores and online stores and found only 1 place but it's in Canada that has 2 in stock. No wrecking yards in my area keep cars more than 10 yrs old.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Here's another discussion on the same problem, listening Riviera as a option for used parts. As with any MIA parts and your skill set it could be something that may be repaired, you just need to get into the guts and see the components. Most vendors that supplied assembly units had a lot of the same internal parts just put them in a different wrapper for different models.

Headlight Switch 2d Coupe (1990)

Buick Ownership
Reatta
Here's another discussion on the same problem, listening Riviera as a option for used parts. As with any MIA parts and your skill set it could be something that may be repaired, you just need to get into the guts and see the components. Most vendors that supplied assembly units had a lot of the same internal parts just put them in a different wrapper for different models.

Headlight Switch 2d Coupe (1990)
Thanx for the reply but this isn't the headlights switch. My problem is the high beams(brights) that you turn on with the turn signal lever. The headlights go completely out when I try to use the high beams, yet the high beam indicator(blue) lights up in the instrument panel. I just found out about the same problem on the aaca.org forum a guy was having. I've checked all the relays and taken apart lower half of the dash, dropped steering wheel to take out the high beam switch. His turned out to be the BCM which I think may be my problem too. Also read on another forum the green wire(high beams) to LH headlight may be broken which will cause both sides not to turn on which I'll be checking tomorrow.

Buick Ownership
Reatta
Fixed it. The problem was a broken green wire on the drivers side headlight. Found out on another forum if one of those wires are broken, both high beams will not work. So check headlight wires and relays first.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.