92 rmw smoke from intake after stalling

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
Any help will be great. Ses light came on yesterday. After about 10 miles I lost all power. Was able to chug it into an oreilleys parking lot. They tried to scan it, but only read error. I jumped the obd 1, got a 44. Changed the O2 sensor. Now the car will start for about 10 seconds, very rough idle, and smoke when it stalls from the air box. Stuck 1800 miles from home with limited resources!!

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
did you check for antifreeze in the engine oil, cream brown substance on dip stick, oil filler cap, etc.?
did you run a fuel pressure test? do you hear the pump start when you place the key in the run positions?
did you pull the plugs to check for one or more cylinders not firing?

Thread starter #3
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
No coolant in oil, just came back in, I am not hearing the fuel pump. I didn't think to check that just because the car will start but only briefly. Will be walking to store tomorrow am to get test light, will check relay first. Did not pull plugs, just because I have nooooo tools. I'm stuck in TX after an 1800 mile trip from CT. I don't have my tools, but also don't want to bite the bullet for someone else to fix.

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If the fuel pressure checks OK, how about the security light? Is it illuminated after the blinking 3-secs bulb test and does it remain on when attemting to start? The fuel pump could be the issue, but have to verify that first. The TBI engine should have only about 12-psi at the rail. You may need some adapters in the fuel delivery system to test that.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If its not the fuel pump you may want to check or replace the fuel filter, depending on when it was done last as it can cause a stall no start type of problem. There's other items that will toss the 44 code to appear but the 02 sensor may just be the item that gets a reading. On other styles engines like the 3.8L I've used starting fluid to check if it's a fuel or something else, if you can start the engine with starting fluid and it runs briefly then it's a fuel related problem. Given that you have limited availability to tools it's roadside repair ideas, not always the best way but that's why they made duct tape LOL, good luck on finding it.

Thread starter #6
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
So I'm leaning against a fuel pump. Just to quick check I swapped ac relay with fuel pump relay. Car idled for 6 mins before stalling. I didn't give it fuel at all. However, there was a bit of moisture from exhaust as well as what appears to be pieces of cat. I'm not overly concerned about the moisture. Appears to be just water, it was a cold start on a colder morning. Attached pic

Attachments

Thread starter #7
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster
So after lots of messing around, still trying to pull the cat, I started again. Ran for less than a minute. After stalling a very small wisp of smoke from intake. Definitely smells rich at exhaust

Buick Ownership
92 roadmaster, limited sedan
I had a similar issue with my 92 roadmaster. In my case it turned out to be the catalytic converter had failed and created issues almost exactly as you described.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.