• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

92 Roadmaster Timing

gwirtel

Buick Ownership
92 Buick Roadmaster Limited
I am trying to set the timing on my 92 Roadmaster, and I am having a problem. The Haynes manual says "The Electronic Spark Timing (EST) system must be bypassed prior to checking the ignition timing. Locate the EST bypass connector near the air control valve on top of the right cylinder bank cover. Disconnect the EST bypass connector".
This is all well and good except I have no idea what the air control valve looks like, and Haynes does not describe it.

On an earlier post, this link was included that showed what is supposed to be the connector:
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_i...0083_large.jpg
But either it is in a different spot on my car, or it does not have this same connector.

I found this thread:
http://www.buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7931&highlight=timing,
but nowhere in there does it ever say where the connector was found, just that it was found "after research."
So, standing in front of the car looking at the engine, where will I find this connector? Be as descriptive as possible, please no shorthand. Pretend like I have looked around on the engine for a long time, have searched the internet for a long time, and I am still coming up empty.Please keep in mind, it is a 1992 Roadmaster, not a 1994-96. I only say this because I see a lot of "well I have a 96, and this is here, so it should be here also" comments on this board.

Thanatos

Wahoo, NE
Buick Ownership
Roadmaster Wagon x3 Caprice wagon x1
The above photo is from an F body car, so a difference is expected, but the connector is the same. The air control valve is all of the Smog crap sitting above the pass. valve cover. Look around and under that.

Also looking back in that same area, look at the fire wall below and further out of the heatercore hoses. There is a bulkhead connector that comes from the PCM. The EST wire runs through that, so just folow the bulk of wiring there and find the connector.

tdw

Buick Ownership
Buick
The connector you are looking for on a 92 RDS is in or by the loom of wire beside the
right valve cover. Also it is a two wire connector rather than the one shown for the later
model. It should usually be right of the front side of the TBI. When you disconnect it with the engine running you will get a check engine light but it will go out after you reconnect and start the engine. EST= electronic spark timing

1st RDS 92 Limited 153k- 334k
struck deer sold to ins
2nd RDS 93 Limited 129k-249k so far

gwirtel

Buick Ownership
92 Buick Roadmaster Limited
The connector you are looking for on a 92 RDS is in or by the loom of wire beside the
right valve cover. Also it is a two wire connector rather than the one shown for the later
model. It should usually be right of the front side of the TBI. When you disconnect it with the engine running you will get a check engine light but it will go out after you reconnect and start the engine. EST= electronic spark timing

I know what EST means, I put it in my post. But please tell me what TBI means.So far, I have not been able to find it.

Nightrider

Toulouse - France.
Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster Estate 92
Sorry for coming back on this but I have rebuilt my engine and now need to set the timing right.

I can't spot the EST connector ...
I do not have the air pump anymore, no EGR.

Now I have found a black box between the air conditioning canister and the fuel pump relay. on the Sevice manual it is called EST something but has a long 4 or 5 wires connector.

Now if someone can post a picture of the 2 wire EST connector it will be better ...

Thanks !

Nightrider

Toulouse - France.
Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster Estate 92
OK great thanks a lot !!

I found a video on youtube showing the same but the guy didn't sound 100% sure of what he was saying and in parallel I still find some people saying it is a single wire connector close to the firewall.

On the Roadmaster (and Caprice I guess) it is a TWO wires connector on top of the intake manifold, passenger side. Validated.

Thanks again !!!:headbang:

Al H.

Buick Ownership
Buick
OK great thanks a lot !!

I found a video on youtube showing the same but the guy didn't sound 100% sure of what he was saying and in parallel I still find some people saying it is a single wire connector close to the firewall.

On the Roadmaster (and Caprice I guess) it is a TWO wires connector on top of the intake manifold, passenger side. Validated.

Thanks again !!!:headbang:
You're welcome.
It's the same on the '91-'92 Custom Cruiser too, the pics are of the engine in my '92.:)

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Okay so was on my way to work my 1992 Buick Roadmaster lost power and back fired when tried to crank well got it towed to my house next morning I started fooling with it again and had my dad here to help he said sounded like the distributor cap so he checked to see if the coil had and spark and it didn't it's not getting any fire , so I bought and got him to help me put on distributor cap . And still didn't work so he thought it might be out of timing so we replaced the timing chain . And we put the timing chain on and it's still not running or getting any fire . So my question is what do y'all think it can be ? And did I set the timing just by putting the new chain on ?

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Hey I was wondering if anyone know what could be going on with my 1992 Buick Roadmaster . Well it just stopped running on my way to work I saw smoke under the hood and it backfired when I tried to crank it , then I got it towed to my house cause it wouldn't crank anymore , the next morning I called my dad to come look at it and he thought it could be the distributor cap so we replaced that and it cause it had no fire , and it still wouldn't crank so then he said it was the timing out so I bought a timing chain and he replaced the timing chain and it still want crank and has no spark at the coil . So my question is when u set the timing on a 1992 Buick road master is it more to it then just lining the chain up and putting it on . Please someone give me suggestions I really am fed up with this car I'm a female and don't know much and I can't seem to figure it out and keep spending money . PS . Now he is telling me to buy a electronic module for the distributor?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Old 6-yr thread here but I here no mention or replacing the rotor button? I had a friend who ran a towing service and carried a box full of rotor buttons back in those days! The lack of spark delivered from a distributor can be caused by the distributor cap, (which was replaced) or the rotor button, ICM (in the distributor) connections (terminal) to the ICM. Worst case, would be stripped gears on the distributor, which is easy to diagnose with the cap off. Is it turning with the engine rotating? Do you feel much play in the distributor shaft when trying to turn with the cap off?

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Yes it is turning when the engine is rotating checked that . But didn't change the rotor button so it could be that ?

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
So in your opinion could it be the electronic module?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Both the ICM & rotor button are suspects! Change one at a time and check the results, rather than replacing both & throwing parts at it! I assume the coil has not failed?

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Where I live I can get the icm tested to see if it's bad at Auto place for free my dad was gonna do that before making me buy one

Pedal Commander