• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

92 Roadmaster Timing

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
And the timing has nothing to do with it not getting no spark at the coil right
That is also correct. If the timing is off, it should still have spark, but may be out of time! Are the wires connected on the cap in correct sequence? 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2?

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
I used to have a 93. I'd recommend checking your ignition control module, ignition coil, cap and rotor, make sure the wires are in the right spot. If all of that passes then your distributor might've skipped a tooth somehow. Before you pull the distributor out you can try loosen the distributor clamp bolt a little bit and slowly turn the cap a little bit at the time to see if it changes anything.

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
I used to have a 93. I'd recommend checking your ignition control module, ignition coil, cap and rotor, make sure the wires are in the right spot. If all of that passes then your distributor might've skipped a tooth somehow. Before you pull the distributor out you can try loosen the distributor clamp bolt a little bit and slowly turn the cap a little bit at the time to see if it changes anything.
Okay guys I have got that fixed but now ran into another problem it is leaking to transmission fluid and act like it don't wanna go and acts like it has trouble changing gears but when I tap the gas and slow down it will finally change gears . Idk but it looks like the leak is coming from the transmission gasket area ?

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Okay guys I have got that fixed but now ran into another problem it is leaking to transmission fluid and act like it don't wanna go and acts like it has trouble changing gears but when I tap the gas and slow down it will finally change gears . Idk but it looks like the leak is coming from the transmission gasket area ?
Oh and wanted to let y'all know the spark problem is fixed now it was indeed the ignition control module

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
Is it leaking from the bell housing around where it bolts to the engine or back by the tailpiece where the driveshaft goes in? How does the fluid look? Is it black, normal red color, does it smell burnt? Also how is the fluid level?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
And the timing has nothing to do with it not getting no spark at the coil right
That is absolutely correct! If the timing is OFF, you may have misfire explosions, from the exhaust, intake manifold but will not cause NO spark! You need to get spark to the plugs, before anything else can be determined! Old thread here, but may help others with NO spark!

Last edited:

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
I now see that the ICM failed. That component is critical to delivering spark.

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Is it leaking from the bell housing around where it bolts to the engine or back by the tailpiece where the driveshaft goes in? How does the fluid look? Is it black, normal red color, does it smell burnt? Also how is the fluid level?
Up it was the tranny gasket leaking fixed that but still slipping gears the fluid was black. The tranny is a 700 r I thought it could me the modulator hose but the 700 r tranny don't have a modulator valve so I have no idea what is going on .

Brittany

Buick Ownership
1992 Buick road master
Up it was the tranny gasket leaking fixed that but still slipping gears the fluid was black. The tranny is a 700 r I thought it could me the modulator hose but the 700 r tranny don't have a modulator valve so I have no idea what is going on .
Ohh and the reason I thought it was going to be the modulator is because u check the tranny fluid one min it's full and two mins later it's empty idk

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
If the fluid is black and smells burnt, sorry to say it but most likely the clutches are going out. That is a common problem with 700R4 and 4L60E transmissions. It might've leaked enough to the point of getting too low and burn the clutches. Sadly, transmission repairs are not cheap.
The good thing is they're not too hard to replace if you find a good used one, I did mine in about 6 hours with a helper and the right tools.
You could have a shop take a look but they probably gonna tell you the same thing.

Pedal Commander