93 Century 3.3 Won't Start

billy617bob

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Century
Ok guys, the car ran but couldn't start the next day. Had a shop diagnose it as not getting spark due to a bad ignition control module. Took it home, replaced module and still won't start. Also already has new coils, wires and plugs.

What do you guys think, maybe Crank position sensor? Not sure what to do now, and this is my daily driver.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
how did you get it to a shop in order to diagnose a bad icm and how did you get it home if it didnt start?
why didnt you let them fix it once it was in a shop?
did you check for spark at the plugs to make sure it is an ignition issue ?
did you check for computer codes?

billy617bob

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Century
Yes, needs a crank position sensor. I would replace the harmonic balancer/reluctor wheel while its off as well. I just went through the exact thing with my 1993 3.3. I drove home from work just fine, the next morning it wouldn't start. The shop said it was the ICM which I replaced, still nothing. Replaced the Crank sensor and harmonic balancer/reluctor wheel and it runs again.

Good lick, let us know what happens!

billy617bob

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Century
how did you get it to a shop in order to diagnose a bad icm and how did you get it home if it didnt start?
why didnt you let them fix it once it was in a shop?
did you check for spark at the plugs to make sure it is an ignition issue ?
did you check for computer codes?
Probably did what I did-used my insurance roadside assistance to the it to a shop. The shop quoted me $400 to replace the ICM. I replaced it myself for $100. Still didn't start, had it towed to another shop and they replaced the crank sensor and balancer/reluctor wheel.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Assuming it's running now. As far as shop 1 repair diagnosis more than likely it was a code guess, it's not clear if they did anymore to trouble shoot it and may consider not using them again, but only you know all the details.

billy617bob

Buick Ownership
1993 Buick Century
Assuming it's running now. As far as shop 1 repair diagnosis more than likely it was a code guess, it's not clear if they did any more to troubleshoot it and may consider not using them again, but only you know all the details.
100% agree with you. I'm not using them again. 1st they said it was the ignition control module and it would be $400 to repair. I paid $80 for a brand new one with some coupons and discounts. Still didn't run. Took it to another shop and they did the same thing.

Only this time they swapped my new ignition control module with a used GM one. Then replaced the crank sensor, MAF, some vacuum lines, and the reluctor wheel for a total of $600.

I guess it was time for a reminder of why I started repairing things myself vs having the "professional" do it. I felt like an idiot, the cars book value is less than the repair costs!