• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

93 Riviera, minor problems.

Killaw4ttz

Buick Ownership
93 Buick Riviera
I posted a thread a little while ago asking about heat malfunctioning, and am waiting for the shop manual to arrive before I dig into it to see what the problem is. Heat isn't really a necessity in AZ anyway.

A few other problems have surfaced, all small considering this is a 26 year old car.

The front left motor mount (torque arm?) is done, and it can be felt when taking off from a stop, the engine shifts. I have sourced a new torque arm, however I figured I might as well replace all the mounts at once, as it's unlikely that that's the only one that's broken. The problem is...I can't seem to find any for purchase. Either that torque arm is the only replaceable mount on this car, or the rest are not available for sale. I've searched and searched....no luck, any advice?

Also, while the AC works great, there's an oily smell coming out from the vents. It has no oil leaks that I can see, perhaps an exhaust leak is causing it?

And finally when leaving work a couple days ago, I started it up, it idled for a few seconds and the whole instrument cluster went blank except for an error code, and the electrical problem light illuminated. I didn't note the error code stupidly, I THINK it was 001 or something to that effect. The car kept running during this, but I promptly turned it off and back on, and everything returned to normal and the problem has not recurred. It just makes me wonder if it's the instrument cluster going out, or worse the ECU.

I've been reading up on this year model of Riviera, and apparently only 4500 units were ever produced, making parts somewhat scarce to find. I'm not certain I would have bought the car had I known that. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's very difficult to keep a car running well if there's no after market support for it.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Sure, you may want to check out other forums related to Riviera.
Riviera Owners Assocation Home Page
Riviera Performance
Buick Riviera - Riviera Owners Association

Dash issue could be a few things, but starting with the battery, cables and charging system which is first in the list.

The motor mounts, I think they are discontinued don't quote me, but check the other fourms as when they no longer became available some have made their own.

Oil smell? Can't help as it's something a little hard on a post to identify.

Killaw4ttz

Buick Ownership
93 Buick Riviera
Sure, you may want to check out other forums related to Riviera.
Riviera Owners Assocation Home Page
Riviera Performance
Buick Riviera - Riviera Owners Association

Dash issue could be a few things, but starting with the battery, cables and charging system which is first in the list.

The motor mounts, I think they are discontinued don't quote me, but check the other fourms as when they no longer became available some have made their own.

Oil smell? Can't help as it's something a little hard on a post to identify.
I'm thinking the gauge cluster thing was a fluke or something, hasn't happened since and I've driven the car quite a lot. If it does recur I have the manual now so it shouldn't be an issue to track down. The battery at least looks new, though everything under the hood looks new.

I replaced the only mount available for purchase, haven't driven it since then though. I did rev it up from under the hood and the engine didn't move an inch from back to front, but the true test will come tomorrow.

I was mistaken in calling it an oil smell, it's definitely an exhaust leak. It goes away when the vehicle is in motion, at this point in time I just turn the AC off when I have to come to a stop.

I haven't gotten under the car yet, but looking around with a flash light from up top, I found nothing obvious as to where a leak would be coming from. Going to have to trace the whole thing from manifold to muffler to find the leak. Haven't looked into the heater not working yet, as summer is approaching and it's not really a priority issue at the moment.

I would like to remove the landau roof, however I think it's going to require some body work possibly. There seems to be little studs the roof clips into, so to remove it and make it look good doesn't seem as simple as just unclipping it, there would be hardware left behind. Any experience in that?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I did a 85 Eldorado landau take off and there was mounting holes that needed filling afterwards, but it was getting a full paint job so it wasn't a issue. Here's a diagram that may help on what you may be getting into.

9301044E12-308.png

Max Blast

Buick Ownership
1992 Riv
Hi

your oil smell is exactly that - oil leaking from the valve cover gaskets and burning off on the exhaust manifold. The fumes are then sucked into the cabin. Unless you can hear a pop-pop or wrap-wrap noise you don’t necessarily have an exhaust leak.

$35 for new valve cover gaskets if you can DIY it, and that problem will be gone.

Turbo Buick Badge