• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

94 Roadmaster service engine light question

Resievil

Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster
I got a 94 that I've had for awhile and I have done minor upgrades and most the maintenence that should be done to a car with 150k on the clock. Recently I've been having a issue where I'll leave the car idle when I run into the store to grab something to drink on my way into work and the engine fan will kick on full blast and the check engine light comes on. It also, smells like there is some burning oil but I have the valve cover gaskets replaced not too long ago. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
It sounds like your engine is overheating at idle.
Have you checked the coolant level when the engine is cold?
Have you tried duplicating the situation at home and checked what code is being thrown?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
10-4 on the overheating! I recently had the same problem with my '96 RMS and found the thermostat locked in the closed position. I replaced it with a "fail safe" thermostat that will stay open if it fails. All the overheating problems were then resolved!

Resievil

Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster
I didn't consider overheating that much because the temp gauge wasn't climbing. The coolant levels seemed fine. I really haven't had much off with the car other than what I've already mentioned. Would it be a good idea to have the coolant system flushed?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
The coolant sensor my also be misreading, especially if the system is clogged with an old original coolant! Have that coolant system flushed several times and replace the thermostat & temp sensor!