95 buick century door light switch problem.

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello
I've got a problem with interior light on the car and hearing the driver's door chime too .
Every other door the light works fine I know at one time it use too work .
I want it too work proper because I have a a tendency too leave the lights on in the car .
I wish I can fix it .
I just fixed the driver door inside handle which broke off at the rod on it .
Can you help me locate the door switch on her .
There got too be a problem the switch not making proper contact when closing .
I love too fix it .

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
Everything is inside the doors on these cars (unfortunately), unlike the switches in the door frames of the rear doors, or in the door frames of the front doors of the older cars. The is all because of the door mounted seat belts, and the need for them to release when the door handle is actuated.
I'm not at home, otherwise I would scan in some info for you.

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Everything is inside the doors on these cars (unfortunately), unlike the switches in the door frames of the rear doors, or in the door frames of the front doors of the older cars. The is all because of the door mounted seat belts, and the need for them to release when the door handle is actuated.
I'm not at home, otherwise I would scan in some info for you.
Ok went you get home scan me some info so i can fix the light on the driver door .

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
@CorvairGeek I seen a conector which is disconnected in the drivers door my Gm Book shows a contector for the courtesy light for the door .Will that cause my light not too work . I thought the other day when i got done installing the inner door handle which cracked right at the linkage rod . I love it too work and chime again when i leave the lights on or key in the ignition switch .

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
If it is a tiny, 2 pin connector near the arm rest, that is there for the light in the arm rest in the Limited models. Both my Century Special and Custom have the connector (unused).

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Point me too were i can look to fix the driver side entry lighting .the door chime wont work unless the chime knows the door is open right being the light comes on when the door is opened right .I like that too work again my ass during the daytime forgets too turn off the lights because you cant see them on coming out of the car you forget .

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
The FSM doesn't help much. I have not personally seen the switches inside the doors, and I've been in there plenty. I assume they are at the door latch assembly, but that is just a guess.

Attachments

• SeatBelt10001.JPG
    SeatBelt10001.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 5
  • SeatBelt20001.JPG
    SeatBelt20001.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 6
  • SBSch0001.JPG
    SBSch0001.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 7
  • SBSch20001.JPG
    SBSch20001.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 6

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
There is a module in the 'Convenience Center' which controls the seat belt solenoids, courtesy lights (but only when triggered by the front doors) and reminder chimes. It is not located anywhere convenient in the Century. It is in the dash in front of your left knee, on the inside of the dash. I was able to unbolt the miserable thing years ago and now have it accessible, tied to the wiring harness. The module itself is white in our '96 (yours is probably different).

Attachments

• Conv Center Loc.jpg
    Conv Center Loc.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Chime Module.jpg
    Chime Module.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Conv Center.jpg
    Conv Center.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 5

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The Drivers Door latch switch is what locks the door ?. I want too start there there appear too be two wires coming of it , That just mite be my problem with the dome light not coming on when opening the drivers door . I had a problem where I replaced the power window motor in 2018 and the rod came lose on me too keep the door close . It was missing the clip the black one for the rod . Im sure you know what im taking about .

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
That explains why I haven't seen it. I had a suspicion it was in the latch assembly.
I knew that seat belt retractor reel solenoids were not part of the equation. I've had them disconnected for years. No need to have them automatically release and eject us. The only downside (but not really) is I can close the door and grab the belt fast enough the the reel is still locked (I have to try to do this, the internal pendulum swings and releases it so quickly anyway). The automatic release function was part of the asinine passive restraint design so you could leave the belts fastened and get in and out of the car (in theory).
Avid seat belt user, but preferred them mounted to the structure of the car.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Just looking at the wiring schematic it appears it's a simple 2 wire switch on the latch. If you can pull the wire off the switch and jump the harness connector ends the interior light should come on and then it's the door switch issue. If not then it some place else possibly a crack or short in the harness. As a side note on other vehicles sometimes spraying the latch with silicone can loosen up the switch, not saying it will but before pulling the latch out it's worth a try.
SBSch0001.JPG

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just looking at the wiring schematic it appears it's a simple 2 wire switch on the latch. If you can pull the wire off the switch and jump the harness connector ends the interior light should come on and then it's the door switch issue. If not then it some place else possibly a crack or short in the harness. As a side note on other vehicles sometimes spraying the latch with silicone can loosen up the switch, not saying it will but before pulling the latch out it's worth a try.
View attachment 25541
It rained good today or I was going too open up the door panel too check the switch , or i have too buy a new one for the drivers door or get a used one .

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
View attachment 25541
I think a few years back the switch was put back together wrong i changed the power window motor because it would roll up slow . The rods were not attached right if not careful the door can come open why driving like mine did . I have too look at mine im betting she still good .

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
That explains why I haven't seen it. I had a suspicion it was in the latch assembly.
I knew that seat belt retractor reel solenoids were not part of the equation. I've had them disconnected for years. No need to have them automatically release and eject us. The only downside (but not really) is I can close the door and grab the belt fast enough the the reel is still locked (I have to try to do this, the internal pendulum swings and releases it so quickly anyway). The automatic release function was part of the asinine passive restraint design so you could leave the belts fastened and get in and out of the car (in theory).
Avid seat belt user, but preferred them mounted to the structure of the car.
Update the switch has not power or 12 volts . Im getting 12 volts at the courtesy plug on the drivers door .I think the module has a bad connection in or ill try too re seat it again or off too the junkyard for another one . But since im in the door the drivers side locking rod not hooked up .

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Second Update for today .
Solved
This be the problem a broken Lt Green and black stripe wire for the door lights .
Now comes the problem of soldering it back together .

She works because I touched the two ends together the locks for the seatbelts work too .
If that wire is broke the seatbelt latch's won't work too .
But I've got too attach the locking rod for the inside door she came off .
That's a pain in the ass too connect . IMG_20200913_164346.jpg IMG_20200913_164346.jpg

Duckland23

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Glad you found it, but sorry to hear what a pain.
I fixed it but i dont have any proper wire till later in the week . i solder a piece old rca cable wire too it ill fix it again . The locking rod for the inside door came off I need light dont have one . Ill leave the panel off for now .

Get your turbo buick badge right here!