• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

95 Riviera OBDII connector will not communicate with scanner

Johnny114

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Riviera supercharged
Hello, I'm new to this site. I recently purchased a 95 Riviera supercharged model, and the "service engine soon" light is on, along with "traction off" light. I purchased a Foxwell NT301 scanner, the connector fits the vehicle, but will not communicate with the vehicle. I plugged the scanner into a 2003 Volvo, and it linked up almost immediately. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated...GREATLY, I'm sure I am not the first person to encounter this issue.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's a OBD1 system with a OBD2 style connector commonly called a OBD 1.5, so you will need a OBD1 scanner to read it that has the OBD2 style connector/adapter.

Johnny114

Buick Ownership
It's a OBD1 system with a OBD2 style connector commonly called a OBD 1.5, so you will need a OBD1 scanner to read it that has the OBD2 style connector/adapter.
Thank you for your response, do you know of a make/model of a scanner that will work? I'm currently searching for one.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I have a Tech2 so I don't have experience on this scanner but it was recommended by another forum member.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Typically old school high end ones from Actron, Snap on... etc.

A tech 1, tech 1a, tech 2 are GM tools to do it

There may be somethings like Specialized tuner softwares and computer that can do it, but I would personally, if you REALLY want to have a scan tool, look at a chinese clone tech 2. HOwever, I say that owning a lot of GM stuff. if you only own 1, its not cost effective as the other scan tools could prob be used on other makes.

Youre looking 100+ almost for sure

Johnny114

Buick Ownership
Typically old school high end ones from Actron, Snap on... etc.

A tech 1, tech 1a, tech 2 are GM tools to do it

There may be somethings like Specialized tuner softwares and computer that can do it, but I would personally, if you REALLY want to have a scan tool, look at a chinese clone tech 2. HOwever, I say that owning a lot of GM stuff. if you only own 1, its not cost effective as the other scan tools could prob be used on other makes.

Youre looking 100+ almost for sure
Thank you again, I own a lot of GM stuff, also, that are OBD1 vehicles, but have not acquired a scan tool for them, I guess it's time to bite the bullet, if I want to drive the Riviera, worst case, I can always part it out as a last resort

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Thank you again, I own a lot of GM stuff, also, that are OBD1 vehicles, but have not acquired a scan tool for them, I guess it's time to bite the bullet, if I want to drive the Riviera, worst case, I can always part it out as a last resort
1991-2010(some to 2012) models of GM, Saab, Holden, Suzuki, etc can be done by a tech 2 with the hardware and cartritdges to support that.

OBD 1- 1.5 can be covered with the GM 32mb one they usually come with. the connector adapter is too usually, and then just note by 91 I mean 91 up only. you need a tech 1 to do older than 91

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
IMG_1026.jpg example of mine

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Here's a video on the Tech2, while very useful it's something to know what you are getting into.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!