95 Riviera rack and pinion assembly. Installed reman. Do I have the wrong rack?

I installed a remanufactured rack assembly on my 95 Riviera, and now wheels are way out of alignment. Have not filled fluid or anything yet so not sure if it will correct itself by filling and bleeding system. Can't see that helping to correct this. One wheel is almost straight while the other looks turned all the way to the right. I think I have the wrong rack. Everything bolted up right. It is a Magnasteer system. Is there something I need to do to correct this or is it just a case of the wrong rack? HELP!!!

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
if the rack came with the tie rods attached or you had to transfer them from the old rack and didnt measure them there is no way the toe in will be set correctly without an alignment.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
did you check back with whomever you bought it from that they gave you the correct rack, doubtful it is wrong and still fit the car.
did you connect the steering column to the rack with the wheel straight and the rack centered or does the pinch bolt/clamp fit only one way?

yes everything fit. Pinch bolt fits one way. Only thing wrong is passengers side wheel is turned almost all the way to the right. Store (CAR ID.COM) said part number is right but looks like I will be taking it back off and returning it. I just thought maybe I didn't do everything I should when I installed it. There was a paper in the box that said you have to re-calibrate this rack. It is a Magnasteer system. I don't think that would do anything to correct the alignment issue, also I see an on vehicle adjustment in the service manual under the Rack Bearing Preload section. Not sure if that has anything to do with my issue. Thanks for your input.

JCC

Buick Ownership
97 LeSabre, 97 Riviera
When I replaced my R & P I carefully measured the distance between the tie rod tapered ends on the rack I took off, and made sure that the new one was as close to the original distance as possible. Then I put it on and with the wheels straight ahead, adjusted the rod ends so that the fronts were pointed straight to the rear wheels (eyeballing). It worked OK with just a minor adjust to center the steering wheel.
Regards, JCC

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. I did have the wrong rack. Must have been for a Regal or something. Returned it for replacement and it fit perfectly.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Counting threads/turns on the outer tie rods is useless... Measurements are the only way to return the alignment back to within acceptable form.

May get lucky counting turns but not always.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.