• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

96 PAU Rearview Mirror 'hangar' disassembly

85ltdt

Buick Newbie
Virginia
Buick Ownership
67 Skylark, then 76 Skylark,90 LeSabre,83 T-Type, 85 Limited T-Type, 98 Park Avenue, now a 96 Ultra
My 96 PAU rearview mirror was wobbling so I decided to mess with it a bit and it fell off. Now I can't seem to figure out how to disassemble the mirror from the mount. It has a couple tangs that seem like they should depress and then allow the mount to be slid out but not the way it works. Is it like a FOMOCO radio that requires a special tool to be inserted to depress the tangs? Anyone have experience removing it? Too much engineering for a mirror mount IMO. "Made to be built, not repaired!"mirror.jpg

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Check for a allen head, opposite side from your photo, which will release the metal window hold.

85ltdt

Buick Newbie
Virginia
Buick Ownership
67 Skylark, then 76 Skylark,90 LeSabre,83 T-Type, 85 Limited T-Type, 98 Park Avenue, now a 96 Ultra
No allen screw or screw of any kind, service manual says 20lbs of downward force to install until a 'click' is heard but makes no mention of how to remove the button. Thanks though.

And after finding the section that deals with the mirror in the svc manual, I accidentally implemented the removal procedure from the windshield. "Necessity the mother of...invention"

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
My error, yes it's the "spring clip" which for some reason is on the PA. My 95 and 07 have a allen head set screw like most GM's.

85ltdt

Buick Newbie
Virginia
Buick Ownership
GOT IT! Woke up at 1230 and what else could I do but surf and find different videos on the process others used. In my case, a butter knife, screwdriver, AND 3rd hand (or similar) are all that were needed!

Slide butter knife into 'tang' edge
hold mirror down and pry slightly on knife so button lifts from clip. Not much.
using 3rd hand and flat tip screwdriver, pry from the opposite side forcing the button towards the butter knife

The initial issue I had with the mirror is that it was very loose and bounced when driving. I thought there should be an adjustment screw but I thought wrong. It turns out that the metal tang/clip has two rivet fittings that have worn and allow the tang to vibrate. I'm going to try some 3M adhesive and reattach in the morning.

HTH

mirror_removal.jpg

mirror_tangs.jpg

Pedal Commander