97 Buick Century Limited - Clicking Sound Upon Starting Engine

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Century Limited
I recently acquired a fairly well maintained used 97 Buick Century. It rides well but I noticed that on occasion when I start the car, I hear some type of clicking noise eminating from the drivers side of the engine when I turn on the ignition. Could this be the ABS system checking itself? Once the car starts, no warning lights remain lit. Sometimes the car will start without any clicking noise. Btw, the car does not stall out.

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
ABS check happens within the first 20 yards of driving forward.

What you're hearing could be something hitting something when the engine tilts too much due to a worn out motor mount ?
Maybe something to do with the transmission Park gear settling/relaxing or something to do with the gear selector ?

Those are just a couple SWAG's ( Scientific Wild Ass Guess ).

sonjaab

Buick Ownership
Buick
My 94 3.1 makes a similar internal engine racket when starting hot or cold.
Its not a oil pressure or hi-mile knock/ticking and disappears when running.
Shes got 212k+ miles on her and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.
Smooth and silent at idle.
Just wondering as my 200k mile Z-28 makes no similar sound starting up.

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As another SWAG is it could just be the lifters pumping up or piston slap, both are somewhat known and there are posting on the web that get into details.

sonjaab

Buick Ownership
Buick
NAH........not a worn lifter or a bearing noize. I'm thinkin a loose timing chain slappin' the cover.
I don't think that 3.1 uses those plastic guides.
But the car runs great at 212k.
As long as she gets me thru another brutal NY winter.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.