98 Regal, lightning strike now no crank issue?

tanman34

Buick Ownership
98 regal
My daughter had her regal parked next to a pine tree that got struck. The next morning it wouldnt start. Everything seems normal when you try to start it. All the dash lights come on you can hear the fuel pump and hear the start relay. I have checked every fuse inside and out visually and with a light. I swapped around the relays to rule out a relay. You can feel the start relay clicking. Also my computer wont connect to the car now and it did a year ago when we bought it. You would think the comp got fried but I would think everything wouldn't be working like it is. Also I put in a new battery and the connections are spotless there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Not sure where to go next...

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Ouch!

I think my first call would be to my insurance agent. I'd also take a couple of pictures which show both the tree & the car in the same photo.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Lighting does play havoc on electronics as the EMP pulse can kill circuits on boards with no visible signs. If you can't get a reading off the OBD port it could be the ECM took a hit.

tanman34

Buick Ownership
98 regal
Got pics and called the ins company...1000 deductible.... Havent checked the voltage yet at the starter I have to get under it and its been raining on and off everyday. That was what I figured I needed to do but hoping someone had a better idea..

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Can't say better idea but disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and it may reset, also touching both ends while it's off the battery is a reset on some. Not sure if any of this will work, but lighting strikes don't come up that often.

tanman34

Buick Ownership
98 regal
Ok got a chance to check her car out this weekend. When I started working on it first thing the new battery was dead as can be. Got it charged up first checked my signal wire to the starter, no signal. I checked these with my 12 volt light. I have power to the starter on the positive cable and I have power going from there to the comp. With the key in the on position you can jump the solenoid and the car will start for about 2 seconds then dies. And you can do it over and over without turning the key.
So I have 4 problems
1 it wont start on its own
2 wont stay running when made to start
3 killing the battery with keys out
4 cant get my computer to talk to this one

It acts like something is not allowing the fuel pump to keep pumping after start up...
I have a wire diagram but im not real good at reading them.
Any ideas where to go next??