'99 Custom - Electrical Issues

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
I have a 99 Custom that sat up for 6 years in a yard. It was mauled by rats. The entire vent system had a nest in it. I'm having issues with the security light coming on and CHANGING THE POSITION OF THE STEERING WHEEL SHUTS THE LIGHT OFF! The speakers work intermittently, the blinkers either blink correctly or stay lit when activated... My horn doesn't work. The control board on the

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
Uh didn’t finish there bud.
Does all this intermittently work or just the security tell tale?id check the wiring to the column at the base of the floor area. If there is a kick panel, remove to seen use flashlight. See if spinning wheel moves wires.

unbind wire3.repair broken wires, check for codes

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Your harnesses are probably shot as critters will chew through them, if they are not inspected and repaired the vehicle will never work properly and will have continued problems.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Do the turn signals sometimes stay on solid on both left and right, or is it primarily one side? A poor connection in the circuit to the lamps can cause the module not to blink off for the flashing. Check the connectors closest to the turn signal bulbs on the side that's doing the intermittent freeing, and I'd start looking at the front along with checking the base of the bulb for corrosion. Front is likely the problem because the rear wiring is internal to the trunk.

imidazol97

Top Dog
I have a 99 Custom that sat up for 6 years in a yard. It was mauled by rats. The entire vent system had a nest in it. I'm having issues with the security light coming on and CHANGING THE POSITION OF THE STEERING WHEEL SHUTS THE LIGHT OFF! The speakers work intermittently, the blinkers either blink correctly or stay lit when activated... My horn doesn't work. The control board on the

Since you say changing the position of the steering wheel rather saying turning the steering wheel, I infer that you mean changing the vertical position in the Saginaw tilt wheel. The two fine wires that go to the key cylinder to sense the resistance in the chip in the key get flexed when the tilt wheel is moved. Eventually the tiny copper threads inside one or both of the wires start to break, That changes the resistance through that circuit. The theft deterrent module, TDM, turns on the light to warn that the circuit is not right, but the resistance is not off enough to cause the TDM to block cranking the starter as a theft stopper.

Eventually that resistance will change enough. So there are several videos on fixing that wiring by bypassing the wires to thekey and inserting resistors in a self-built substitute. The soldering is tricky because the tiny wires in the two white wires inside the yellow IIRC outer covering are so fine.

Shops that install burglar alarms have premade replacements for the 14 resistors used by GM they put in so that their alarm can control the starting and running of the car. One of them might help by just replacing the key circuit. Of course any key cut right for the lock cylinder will turn the key and start the car after replacement. But thiefs wouldn't know it's been bypassed.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Was this car given to you or did you buy it real cheap?

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Uh didn’t finish there bud.
Does all this intermittently work or just the security tell tale?id check the wiring to the column at the base of the floor area. If there is a kick panel, remove to seen use flashlight. See if spinning wheel moves wires.

unbind wire3.repair broken wires, check for codes
**Something happened with the website and then I got busy for a second.**

To continue: The driver's door [window and seat controller] works intermittently. I'm sure there's a pattern here but I haven't noticed it. I'm going to pull out the dash and see what I can find... If anything.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Do the turn signals sometimes stay on solid on both left and right, or is it primarily one side? A poor connection in the circuit to the lamps can cause the module not to blink off for the flashing. Check the connectors closest to the turn signal bulbs on the side that's doing the intermittent freeing, and I'd start looking at the front along with checking the base of the bulb for corrosion. Front is likely the problem because the rear wiring is internal to the trunk.
Considering I've examined all the other wire sets.... I believe I'll find you are correct as to the blinkers. I remember seeing a couple ground wires near the horn and headlights that had been chewed.

I would still have the issue of where the short would be for the rest of my issues.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Now that I've taken the dash apart and inspected the wires... I have a fixed pattern of lights when I start the car.
The car is running.
The security light is stays on and stays solid. The air bag light blinked 5 times then its solid.
The volt light comes on and stays solid.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Your harnesses are probably shot as critters will chew through them, if they are not inspected and repaired the vehicle will never work properly and will have continued problems.
....Which is why I'm on a forum. I want more resources to help diagnose and fix my problem.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Check the passenger side fuse relay box, but here's some diagrams that might help on what is in the dash and harnesses.
View attachment 29956 View attachment 29957

Also if you don't have the fuse box information
Done that. The most I could come up with is a lot of what I called "corrosion run off" on the actual box all of the fuses are pushed into. It looks like a white liquid was poured on it and it dried up to look almost chalky. I bought some electrical cleaner and sprayed out everything.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It may require removal of the box as it can be inside on the board causing issues. On some of those if it's noticeable outside it's more than likely worse at times inside and on the harness connection, this is somewhat more if the vehicle was used in the road salt areas as it can wick up from wet carpeting.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
It may require removal of the box as it can be inside on the board causing issues. On some of those if it's noticeable outside it's more than likely worse at times inside and on the harness connection, this is somewhat more if the vehicle was used in the road salt areas as it can wick up from wet carpeting.
I have asked SO MANY PEOPLE if the obvious corrosion that's inside the box could be causing my problems and I kept getting wild looks for even suggesting it. I'm glad to hear someone else had the same thought. I'm a little more thorough when I'm not being hounded

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It's basic troubleshooting on trying to confirm if a problem is limited to only visual surface inspection or does it go deeper. Even if it is in good condition then it's time to move on to the next component and not having to backtrack phantom issues later. Good luck on sourcing the problems and hopefully getting the vehicle operating properly shortly.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
I would think your corrosion run off is at the very least conductive.. could check it for ohms, continuity etc. you could wear well be powering an electrolyte that causes gremlin electrical hiccups or creating some magnetic field of some kind and messing with EMI.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
I assumed that it WASNT conductive. Considering a battery terminal, if there's too much corrosion then you won't have a good enough connection to pull the required energy.

In my assumption, if corrosion WAS conductive then corrosion or buildup wouldn't be an issue on the terminal?

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
Unrelated to the original post; would you guys know why it sounds like a gun is being fired when I push my lock button on my door? It literally sound like a gunshot coming from somewhere in the rear. I was assuming something was getting hit.

P.S. You guys are going to see my name A LOT!! I work on my own car and I decided I wanted to keep my little boat due to the amount of SPACE that is in this car!¡ And my little engine is a good one. Highly under-rated car in my opinion.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
As much as I like my 2002 Lesabre Limited I truly miss my 1997 Oldsmobile 88. The styling got better on the Buicks after 2000 but unfortunately the quality did NOT. The pre-2000 cars were built better IMHO.

tiffany.may1999

Buick Ownership
1999 Lesabre Custom
As much as I like my 2002 Lesabre Limited I truly miss my 1997 Oldsmobile 88. The styling got better on the Buicks after 2000 but unfortunately the quality did NOT. The pre-2000 cars were built better IMHO.
Right. The person I bought the car from thought they were getting over on me but I see the POTENTIAL! Mine is definitely not a racing car but a perfect family car. It even gets great gas mileage.

I found a graveyard of cars right in my hometown. I try to remember to go back and take pics but I keep forgetting. Idk if this person knows what they have or not... It is SPECTACULAR! I'll try to remember to send you a pic.... I think you'd like this lol

Get your turbo buick badge right here!