99 LeSabre starts but then dies after 2 seconds...is this a security system issue?

jsb428

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
So I have a 99 LeSabre with no key lock cylinder. It ran fine without it with a resistor wired in. However, the key fob was lost and somehow the alarm system was triggered after someone tried to start it without being able to unlock it with the key fob. We replaced the key fob and it functions properly but now the car starts then dies after 2 seconds. What should I do?p

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
Yes, it most likely is related to the security system. The security system shuts off the fuel pump. To bring things back into sync, you will need a scan tool, or to bring it somewhere with a scan tool, for them to reset it.

jsb428

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
Yes, it most likely is related to the security system. The security system shuts off the fuel pump. To bring things back into sync, you will need a scan tool, or to bring it somewhere with a scan tool, for them to reset it.
A scan tool as in a diagnostic scanner?

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
A Tech II or similar tool, not a simple Check Engine Light scanner.
Maybe its time to reinstall a lock cylinder?

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
If activated, the security system cuts off the fuel injectors and it will only start & run for 2-sec. There is no way to reset the system with a scanner in the present configuration. You may need to consult with the car thief that broke the cylinder and ask for advice! I am sure they could get it to start again.

Last edited:

jsb428

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
Well unfortunately theres no car thief to ask... I was given the car by the previous owner (his name was on the title, legally and legitimately), who continues to help me work on it. I know I need a lock cylinder replacement, but right now I need diapers and formula more. In order to obtain these things, I need to get to my job every day and this car is all Ive got. Just trying to get to work and support my family, I didnt steal this car or buy it from a thief. But thanks for letting me know I am wasting my time trying to fix it without having a grand I can spare for a dealership to repair it. I may be broke and trying to ghetto rig my car to operate in a questionable way... but I'm not a crook, Z28 guy. God Bless you. I knew I came to the right place for help.

kvjimbo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I was able to reset the security system on a 2000 Le Sabre Limited.
30-Minute Learn Procedure 1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start. 3. Observe the SECURITY tell tale light. After approximately 10 minutes, the light will turn OFF. 4. Turn OFF the ignition switch, and wait 5 seconds. 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 - two more times - for a total of 3 cycles of 10 minutes. 3x10 = 30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch turn from OFF to CRANK Important: Turn the Ignition Switch OFF. The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle. 6. Start the engine.
The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. 7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles. Without a scan tool you may have momentary starter interruptions while history clears itself.

kvjimbo

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Prior to going through the 30 min. relearn procedure after I attempted to start it 10 min later the security light would go off and I could start it. Doing that every time I wanted to start the car got old.
How do you start the car without a lock cylinder?

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You cannt do a relearn procedure without a key cylinder.
Any repair shop can replace it, did you attempt to get a repair estimate.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
After the relearn, how are you starting the vehicle, with a screwdriver? Of course, you can bypass the security system with the correct resistor(s) matched to the key but that requires the correct resistance to be soldered into the correct wires under the dash. If you want to pursue that procedure, we can help you.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!