• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

9spd vs 8spd

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
Had the privilege of driving a FWD 2019 GMC Terrain SLT with the 1.5T and 9spd transmission. Is this the same tranny the FWD Regal and AWD Regal GS have?

That 9spd transmission is a wholly different experience than my TourX with the 8spd transmission. Off-throttle the torque converter maintains pressure to give a stronger feeling of engine braking whereas the TourX has more of a free wheeling feel under the same conditions. Conversely during acceleration in the Terrain there was a lot less pressure and it felt more like a CVT during gear changes in 2-6; I've complained about the TourX's 8-spd needing more positive lockup and engagement/disengagemenacceleration but the 9-spd is really soft, relatively speaking.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The 9-speed is the same one you'll find in tons of GM FWD-based vehicles, including most of their crossovers. It was co-developed with Ford, although GM had the lead on it, and Ford pretty much abandoned it feeling that there was no benefit to the extra gear over their 8-speed. The Regal's 8-speed is sourced from Aisin.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
My FIL has a 2018 Terrain with 2.0T AWD 9-speed and towing package. I've driven the Terrain and my TourX over the same routes and I will say the "instant fuel economy" going up 9 Mile Hill in Albuquerque dips into the single digits with the Terrain but stays in the double digit range with my TourX.

FWIW - YMMV.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Aisin makes a great transmission.
Years ago, Aisin purchased
Borg-Warner and became known as Aisin-Warner. Later became just plain Aisin. Use the correct trans fluid and you will not have problems. GM, Ford, Toyota all have the correct fluid Dealers sometimes put in their own regular fluid which causes problems. NEVER change fluid at a "Quicky Lube" as they will always use what they have on hand. Usually Dextron which is the wrong fluid.

GM (Buick) Fluid number listed in your owners manual.

Toyota Fluid is their Type IV if memory serves me correctly.

Ford (can't remember what it is called but it is for Fords AW-21 transmission.

Mobil also has a Fluid for Aisin transmissions. I think it is called Mobil 3309.

Use the correct fluid and you won't have problems.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
...the TourX has more of a free wheeling feel under the same conditions.
I have not driven the 9 speed in any application. That said, I've yet to drive a GM vehicle that had any engine braking. It's annoying that they think going down a hill with no throttle applied means that I want to go faster. Even my wife's Versa with a terrible CVT does this better. It's one of those things I knew I'd have to accept about the car, haven driven many other Buicks over the years.

Otherwise, it's a Buick station wagon and the transmission seems fine for it.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Now that you remind me, very little engine braking in anything other than the lowest two or three gears.i guess it would not make much difference as I go down Mt. Equanox (VT) in third or second gear, both having engine braking.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Less pumping loses with small engines, thiner full syn lubricants, and eco tuned everything.
Which all means less engine braking... more whining about it and longing for a manual with clutch.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
If you manually downshift you can get engine braking..correct?
Yes, it holds gears in manual mode. Usually it takes a couple of downshifts to get to where you have significant revs for engine braking.

My experience in automatic is that going down hills with no throttle applied, the vehicle is in 8th and stays there as the vehicle adds 10+ mph in speed, or it will actually execute (sloppy) upshifts as speed increases to try and get toward 8th. Applying the brake on a hill will sometimes get the transmission to downshift, but then it upshifts again soon after I'm off the brake to restart its quest to get to top gear as fast as possible.

It would definitely benefit GM to drive a BMW and see how good transmission programming can be. It feels like one of those "we've always done it this way" things that GM just doesn't care about. Although the comments on the 9-speed make me hopeful they've rethought some things recently.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
This transmission is not bad, but it isn't the smoothest either. For comparison the last two conventional transmissions I had were a Toyota and a Honda. Both were/are silky smooth with imperceptible shifts--no jerks--even under moderate to heavy throttle. This Asian is a bit more firm which may be better for sporty driving--but not quite what I would expect from "attainable luxury". But I knew that going in...the one item most car reviews ding the TourX on is the transmission. No regrets..still love the vehicle.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
This transmission is not bad, but it isn't the smoothest either. For comparison the last two conventional transmissions I had were a Toyota and a Honda. Both were/are silky smooth with imperceptible shifts--no jerks--even under moderate to heavy throttle. This Asian is a bit more firm which may be better for sporty driving--but not quite what I would expect from "attainable luxury". But I knew that going in...the one item most car reviews ding the TourX on is the transmission. No regrets..still love the vehicle.
By “Conventional Transmission”, do you mean Manual Transmission?

If you mean Manual Transmission, my 1990 Honda Accord was terrible. My 1992 Toyota Camry was ok. HOWEVER the best was the last two Renault Laguna II, I leased in France. 2002 and 2006. Smoothest shifting manuals I’ve ever driven. Like shifting through butter.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
By “Conventional Transmission”, do you mean Manual Transmission?

If you mean Manual Transmission, my 1990 Honda Accord was terrible. My 1992 Toyota Camry was ok. HOWEVER the best was the last two Renault Laguna II, I leased in France. 2002 and 2006. Smoothest shifting manuals I’ve ever driven. Like shifting through butter.
Guessing he means conventional is automatic that actually shifts, where as non-conventional meaning a crappy continusely variable single speed automatic.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Guessing he means conventional is automatic that actually shifts, where as non-conventional meaning a crappy continusely variable single speed automatic.
I mean a conventional automatic vs. CVT. Jury is still out on CVT. It worked well on my hybrid, but it was meh on the subie

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I guess I’m old. Two kinds of Transmissions.

Conventional (I.E. Manual with clutch petal). “Most younger and many older people don’t know how to drive a manual transmission car.
Most manuals are Syncromesh but some “race cars” and all motorcycles are Constant mesh Transmissions.

Automatic. Don’t matter if it has Paddle Shifters, DCT Or even CVT. If it can shift by itself, it’s an automatic.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Honda automatics are across the board smoothest i've driven/owned
I guess I am old school too...I prefer a clutch ...but I like to feel the shifts like TH400/425 did when WOT.
TourX can hardly feel shifts when not WOT.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
For sports driving I like a firm shift(i.e Pontiac), but it just seems a bit out of place in a typical Buick. But that may be the plan to appeal to younger demographic and leave Cadillac to the old farts.

Fwiw years ago I drive transit buses with old school manual..double clutching and all that..those were the days!! Lol.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I've driven manual trans, I know how to drive a manual trans, but I'm not one of those guys who things EVERYTHING needs a manual. (I do however lament the death of manual transmissions on pickup trucks, true sports cars, and the DCT replacing them in places you'd usually find one.)

Driving the TourX a few days ago, basically after 5 months of ownership, I feel as if it would be improved by one and for me the current console and armrest are set up perfectly for one.

Pedal Commander