A/C not working well

mikelbeck

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 Rendezvous
I recently bought a 2002 Rendezvous CX for my son. The A/C works but has a few issues.

It takes a long time for it to get cold but it does eventually. Yesterday we were out driving the car (it was in the high 80s outside) and it took 10 minutes before it was cool and about 20 minutes before it was comfortable inside. Could it just need a charge?

There are 2 vents that blow warm air when the A/C is on. The others blow cool (not cold) air. Here's an image I found online https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/buick/rendezvous/2003/oem/2003_buick_rendezvous_4dr-suv_cx_d_oem_1_500.jpg, the vents I'm talking about are the ones are the one on the left hand side above the headlight switch and the one in the middle above the CD slot. Also I was hearing a hissing sound from the dashboard while the A/C was on, but only on the driver's side. What would cause this?

Any ideas?

txbarney

Central Texas
Buick Ownership
Buick
There could be several things to check on a 15 year old car. You might check the cabin air filter, I think all Rendezvous had one, it might be dirty and clogged. A dirty filter will slow down the air flow and take longer to cool the car.
Buy a $5 thermometer at the auto parts store.....stick it in the vent and check the temp of different vents. At road speeds you should see the output temp below 50, ideally 40.

mikelbeck

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 Rendezvous
So I'm back to my 2 year old thread. The A/C no longer even tries to blow cool air, it's just warm. The compressor and clutch are both spinning and I checked the low side pressure and it has enough. I'm thinking this problem is either the blend door/motor or the orifice tube. Any suggestions about what to check?

mikelbeck

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 Rendezvous
Correction. The clutch is not spinning. When I turn on the A/C, the fan doesn't spin either. If I disconnect the temp sensor both fans go on, so at least I now they're getting power and the motors work.

richardnewton

Buick Ownership
Buick
Cool air from one side and warm air from the other side is typically either bad-blocked HVAC doors or low refrigerant.

The refrigerant only goes low from a leak so get a pro to recharge and to find/repair the leaks. I think our family has wrecked 3 or 4 AC systems using DIY AC recharge cans.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
You could be low on refrigerant, or the compressor control valve is not functioning properly. You need to find someone who knows what they are doing and can accurtly test both the low/high side pressure!!

mikelbeck

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2002 Rendezvous
I pulled a vacuum on the it and found that it's not holding, once I turned the pump off it would gradually rise until it got back to 0.

I put some dye in it along with some refrigerant. Once there was enough refrigerant in the system the compressor started and it blew some cold air. But then I saw the dye leaking out from the top of the condenser (passenger side). I didn't see any leaks anywhere else so hopefully that's all it is.

Now I guess I have to replace the condenser. Any tips about how to do that? I'm guessing the whole fan assembly and the radiator have to come out?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.