• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

A/C off due to high engine temp

TreDawg

Buick Ownership
Verano
16 Verano. My temp gauge has been fluctuating recently. Within the last week I’ve gotten “AC off due to high engine temp” and the gauge stays on the “cool” side. I first replace the thermostat, then took it to autozone for the obd and it pulled the code for the coolant temp sensor. Just got finished replacing that. I’m still getting the same alert. Took it to autozone and hooked it back up to the obd and had the worker attempt to reset it, but the code is still there along with the alert. Don’t know which way to turn now

Last edited:

G-605981

I have intermittently had the exact problem you are describing. I haven't replaced anything or pulled codes. I noticed that the problem seems to go away after I park, open the door and restart the car. The coolant temp guage also frequently reads cool and fluctuates rapidly. I'm thinking it's an electrical gremlin that will be difficult to track down.

TreDawg

Buick Ownership
Verano
I have intermittently had the exact problem you are describing. I haven't replaced anything or pulled codes. I noticed that the problem seems to go away after I park, open the door and restart the car. The coolant temp guage also frequently reads cool and fluctuates rapidly. I'm thinking it's an electrical gremlin that will be difficult to track down.
Yea it has happened like that occasionally, now it’s just constant now. Problem now, no ac, summer here in FLA, you know the rest. Then when the alert comes on, how do we ultimately know if the engine is getting too hot? Good thing the fan kicks on though. I just want it to be over at this point.

Last edited:

TreDawg

Buick Ownership
Verano

TreDawg

Buick Ownership
Verano
Found out the problem. It wasn’t my starter that went out as initially thought to be. It was my battery. What was going on, anytime I turned my car off, the cooling fan would continue to run as if the car was hot. Due to the cooling fan continuing to run after the car is turned off, it killed my battery, 2 batteries at that. Took it to dealership and it was determined that the coolant temperature sensor CONNECTOR had “melted” and had to be replaced. The repair was about 160. The diagnostic fee was 135. So far it seems to have solved the problem. Knowing what I know now, I would’ve tried to have the connector replaced first, then go from there.

phoenix

Buick Ownership
2016 Verano
16 Verano. My temp gauge has been fluctuating recently. Within the last week I’ve gotten “AC off due to high engine temp” and the gauge stays on the “cool” side. I first replace the thermostat, then took it to autozone for the obd and it pulled the code for the coolant temp sensor. Just got finished replacing that. I’m still getting the same alert. Took it to autozone and hooked it back up to the obd and had the worker attempt to reset it, but the code is still there along with the alert. Don’t know which way to turn now
[/QUOTE

I have a 2016 Verano too and the same problem happened to me twice already! The first time it happened was back in early 2018 and they told me it was caused by a bad cooling system temperature sensor ( also known as ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor, I think). Then it started to show the same symptom again recently and two days ago it displayed the "A/C off due to high engine temp" message. I took the car to the dealership and once again they told me it's due to a bad ECT sensor. The code was p0119. The first time the car was still under warranty but this time it's out of warranty and it cost about $220 to have it replaced. It's hard to believe a 2016 car is already on the third ECT sensor!

I did some googling and it seems the ECT sensor plays an important role in regulating the engine so you should have it fixed ASAP.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read all the messages and didn't realize your problem was already solved before I posted my reply. But for future benefits, I am keeping my reply here.

Last edited:

G-84962

I had this problem intermittently. It was solved by disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor connector and spraying it with electrical contact cleaner (deoxit). Reconnected it and everything works as it should. Finally getting consistent readings on coolant temp and ac works. Hope this helps.

G-203168

I had this problem intermittently. It was solved by disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor connector and spraying it with electrical contact cleaner (deoxit). Reconnected it and everything works as it should. Finally getting consistent readings on coolant temp and ac works. Hope this helps.

Where are you located and how can I get you to teach me to do the Same? Lol My Verano just started doing this about a week ago. I know my cars not hot, the “A/C OFF DUE TO HIGH ENGINE TEMP” warning shows up as soon as I turn it on.. its only 50 degrees outside in the morning and still the fan stays running after the engine is turned off even if I only had it on for 2 minutes. 🤔

Signed- A girl with the exact same issue.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Where are you located and how can I get you to teach me to do the Same? Lol My Verano just started doing this about a week ago. I know my cars not hot, the “A/C OFF DUE TO HIGH ENGINE TEMP” warning shows up as soon as I turn it on.. its only 50 degrees outside in the morning and still the fan stays running after the engine is turned off even if I only had it on for 2 minutes. 🤔

Signed- A girl with the exact same issue.
read the causes below
P0128 Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
The link comes up with the NHTSA site. You then either plug in the VIN or the year, manufacturer, and model of the car depending on which tab you select. I'm using chrome on a desktop.
What are you using a computer or a phone and which browser?
There are 818 TSBs for your vehicle.

Skidmarc

Buick Ownership
Verano
The link comes up with the NHTSA site. You then either plug in the VIN or the year, manufacturer, and model of the car depending on which tab you select. I'm using chrome on a desktop.
What are you using a computer or a phone and which browser?
There are 818 TSBs for your vehicle.
Only the recalls show up. I’m using safari on iPhone. Do you see any TSB for this threads subject issue A/C off due to high engine temp?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Use a computer and click on the Manufacturers Communications, they are the TSB's. You can not search by subject, they are grouped by systems and there is no HVAC it is lumped in with others.

Turbo Buick Badge